Decoying with shells and full bodied

Farcombehall

From what I have read of the advice given by the experts on this forum using shells and full bodied together should not be a problem.

Full bodied are too bulky for my liking and for the last fifteen years I have used the same fifteen shells, some of which now have pellet holes in them and all of which seem to attract pigeons given the right conditions. Put dead birds out as soon as you shoot them.

Well, others may disagree but a bird on the ground happily feeding does not have it's wings outstretched. Should you wish to show off the wing flashes to birds on their way into the pattern put up some floaters.

Yes indeed...there's many in the bird world that opine a pigeon will use its wing flashes to warn other birds...I think this is the case. They have certainly evolved for a reason.

Yes indeed...there's many in the bird world that opine a pigeon will use its wing flashes to warn other birds...I think this is the case. They have certainly evolved for a reason.

I don't see how that could possibly be the case. When a pigeon lands it rapidly flaps it's wings. It would therefore be confusing to other pigeons if the white wing bars were considered to be some kind of warning signal.

When I am picking up the slain during a decoying session, I will simply plop them down somewhere close to the hide in a very random fashion. The birds may end up with an outstretched wing here or there. If your incoming pigeons are alerted by this, you would have issues decoying them, anyway.

I also think that showing the wing bar does not make that much difference on a particular day, I have shot pigeons 3 feet of the ground and they have belly flopped to the deck with their wings open and pigeons still came in, even had them on their backs and they still came in....But there are days when the slightest thing out of place spooks them, bit like the magnet, sometimes they come in like stones other times they will flare away from it.

When I am picking up the slain during a decoying session, I will simply plop them down somewhere close to the hide in a very random fashion. The birds may end up with an outstretched wing here or there. If your incoming pigeons are alerted by this, you would have issues decoying them, anyway.

+1 you make a very good point.

Edited by E.w.