Sentries have come in from the hill, sir.... They report Pigeons to th

Adge Cutler

to the South East...Thousands of them..

As Gonville Bromhead might say... :lol:

Driving to Gloucester today via Bisley and Birdlip saw the biggest flock of pigeons for some time... lots of rape fields nearby but I don't think the birds were on these particular fields to be honest.

First flock came out of the woods to the right of me (1. on the map ) and followed the edge of the wood. Second wave came from the woods on the South escarpment of Cranham (2. ) and joined these birds.. Further along towards Birdlip the third wave joined from Cranham woods on the left of me (3.)

I would say conservatively 7 -10,000 birds in total and I don't think they are migrants either. All this about 7:30 this morning. I watched them disappear towards Brimpsfeild.

Don't know if there are any Gloucester boys on the Forum who shoot in this area ? I've tried one or two of the Farmers in the past nearby but none of them have seemed too bothered and I haven't had much success. The rape generally is well away too... couple more weeks like this and it will be forming flower buds. !

Going to leave work a bit earlier this evening and see if they all make their way back.

post-78288-0-13019700-1478524140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adge Cutler

Cleaver birds coming out of the woods in sequence like that, :whistling: lets hope they move 50 miles north west, they will be in my back yard. :)

Did you see many Zulu's?

Only one..

Classic Buffalo head manoeuvre .... In fairness they didn't all just fly out in one big flock.. I watched them for about 25 minutes or so. Some poor farmer is going to get a battering somewhere nearby in the Gloucester - Cirencester corridor.

have been some big migrant flocks recorded in passage also locally at the bird recording stations 10k plus at Painswick beacon.. 5k at Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham...heading South though sadly.

Edited by Adge Cutler

That part of the country seems to hold a lot of pigeons, when I used to visit my cousin who lived near Castle Combe in the village of Yatton Keynell, I would always see plenty of pigeon movement as we drove down the M5-M4

Know it well.. really nice pub in the Village the Bell Inn...cracking food.

Always loads of pigeons each winter M5 corridor Tewkesbury to Gloucester.

Edited by Adge Cutler