Oxford zander

chrisjpainter

I fish the middle Thames a lot December onwards...I've seen the odd large Zander come out around Oxford and Abingdon and I've caught a couple of small ones myself at Hinton Waldrist.

These were generally caught on worm when match or pleasure fishing or when Pike fishing.

I wouldn't be confident about latching on to any if I were just deliberately targeting them though to be honest as they seem to be sparse.

I would concentrate on deeper water this time of year and in the areas which are regularly match fished where there are plenty of this years fry.. the weirs would be my first port of call or perhaps the Oxford Canal

Try Predator Angling Centre in Kidlington http://www.predatoranglingcentre.com/80350/contact.php

The Oxford canal is linked with the Coventry Canal and the Grand Union south of Warwick . These all have Zander in them and south of Warwick they do a lot of lure fishing mainly drop shotting. The only concern is that do electro fish it as Zander I believe is the same price as sea bass at Bilingsgate Fish Market

hello, i live in abingdon and never heard of any zander caught although i do not mix with any fisherman but know a few lock keepers and they would have mentioned, as Adge remarked give predator a ring/ didcot angling/ tackle shop at faringdon/ or oxford tackle shop abingdon road. i will ask richard (abingdon lock ) tomorrow rivers pretty low at the moment but Adge mentioned Hinton has some deep gulleys. as same above abingdon lock as it was dredged not long ago. cheers

• 2 weeks later...