Multi bird roast

Daveo26

Iv got a selection of game bird breasts in my freezer I'm hoping to do some kind of cheaters 5 bird roast.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

I was going to try and wrap the breasts in size order and wrap in dried ham with stuffing inside.

Currently got, mallard, teal, woodcock and pheasant .

So Iv got an idea and some meat that's it!

How about tenderizing the breasts ie flattening them out with a meat hammer or rolling pin and layer them up like a lasagne. Starting with the biggest and then a layer of stuffing or a mushroom paste such is used for beef Wellington and then the smaller breasts and so on.Finish with a good wrapping of streaky bacon or pancetta and roast. Just and idea.

How about tenderizing the breasts ie flattening them out with a meat hammer or rolling pin and layer them up like a lasagne. Starting with the biggest and then a layer of stuffing or a mushroom paste such is used for beef Wellington and then the smaller breasts and so on.Finish with a good wrapping of streaky bacon or pancetta and roast. Just and idea.

Am hungry now :lol: :lol:

That is pretty much what I had decided on but I'd thought about slicing everything up thinly.

I think tenderising is a much better idea.

Iv found like a silicon loaf tin, no idea what it actually is my wife isn't in but my intention is to layer everything up in that.

I was thinking about a thin layer of sage and onion sausage meat in between layers of game. Hopefully it'll keep things moist

I now have. Pheasant, partridge, woodcock, teal and a pigeon.

I'll cap it all with some kind of dried ham.

Thanks for the input.

That is pretty much what I had decided on but I'd thought about slicing everything up thinly.

I think tenderising is a much better idea.

Iv found like a silicon loaf tin, no idea what it actually is my wife isn't in but my intention is to layer everything up in that.

I was thinking about a thin layer of sage and onion sausage meat in between layers of game. Hopefully it'll keep things moist

I now have. Pheasant, partridge, woodcock, teal and a pigeon.

I'll cap it all with some kind of dried ham.

Thanks for the input.

The loaf tin could work.! However I was using the lasagne process as an example of layering. Your best bet IMO would be to after layering, Tie the whole lot up butcher style with some string and maybe some metal Skewers . I'm sure you already know the process of flattening out the breasts but just in case.. Put your breast between some Clingfilm and batter out to desired thickness using Rolling pin or even a can of Beans,peas ect. I'm liking Islandgun's idea of the Red/cranberry jelly. You could also use some 'Caul fat' to wrap around instead of Bacon or even bind it with the fat before also wrapping in bacon. Not only would this help keep the meat moist it would also help secure the whole thing. Best of luck with it whatever you decide.

Personally, I'd make them into a terrine so they retain their own flavour - I've never had a multiple bird roast that was actually worth the while - The idea behind it should be that it's a bit of a show stopper, but it should also improve the flavour, but I find that it just all blurs together into one big overcooked mess where you're trying to keep the outer birds moist and the inner birds done.

Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like!

Personally, I'd make them into a terrine so they retain their own flavour - I've never had a multiple bird roast that was actually worth the while - The idea behind it should be that it's a bit of a show stopper, but it should also improve the flavour, but I find that it just all blurs together into one big overcooked mess where you're trying to keep the outer birds moist and the inner birds done.

Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like!

Email this to me a week ago when it mattered