FAC variation - advise plz on correct method of filling forms in

gray_b

FAC variation - advise plz on correct method of filling forms in.

OK I am bit of a newbie, but I am looking at expanding my collection.

Only to find on my FAC licence it says I can have only one. Is this correct ?, or am I reading it wrong. Or do I have to apply for a variation to add another 0.22RF.

Also what would be the correct way of adding a semi auto shotgun with more than 2+1 to the variation. Do I say "Semi Auto Shotgun more than 2+1 cartridges" Just to cover me for a 5 or 10 shot, dependant on prices at the time.

As I am not sure if I need a 12bore or 16bore, do I put both down just in case.

As a bit of a side issue, I was advised by FAO that I must use subs in the 0.22LR, but the licence does not say that, only expanding ammunition. Does that mean I can but Stingers, as they are expanding ?

Edited by gray_b

Firstly your FEO was wrong in advising you that you must use subs in your .22.

Secondly, you simply apply for a variation if you want a second .22, stating your good reason, and thirdly, a shotgun which can hold more than two in a magazine is classed as a Section 1 firearm and therefore that is what you apply for; it is placed on your FAC, not your SGC. You can quote the Wildlife and Countryside Act as your good reason for a S1 shotgun.

Almost fully covered by Sculley. For a start your FEO is either pulling the wool or doesn't know what he/she is talking about. If you require a moderator/silencer or not then put it on your application to acquire, you don't have to rush out and purchase one straight away or ever for that matter. Put on in the 'wish to acquire' section, whatever you feel you would like and can cover with the right to use and reason to acquire. If you are applying for a five shot semi auto then make sure you have a letter from your land owner emphasising the need to control vermin, pigeon and crows etc. Otherwise they may question why you can't shoot the vermin with a three shot. If you wish to purchase a second .22RF for instance then you need to explain why you need two....eg one for vermin control, one for target shooting. ALSO with the advent of night vision, then you might want a second similar rifle as a dedicated rifle for your night sight. Good well worded, straight forward, honest approach almost always results in success.

Edited by Walker570

I have an 8 shot pump and it is on my fac as a "multi shot shotgun". The reason for having it is for rabbit shooting from a vehicle thus minimising the need for constant reloading with a double. This is a safety issue and more rabbit targets can be engaged before having to reload so more crop damage can be prevented. What I suggest you is that you print out a letter with all of these keyword points and just get the landowner or farmer to sign. If they have got to take their time to do something like this it ain't going to get done.

PS. Don't bother thinking about a 16 bore the cartridges cost a bomb and they're rare there ain't any point. Just get a 12 and have done with it.

Edited by fortune

Just to support what fortune has said. Print or write out a letter of permission to shoot and include the requirement to control, rabbits, pigeons etc. I have just gone around my land owners with same for my renewal and all they have to do is sign. It also shows the FEO your up to speed. I also agree with his suggestion about 16 gauge as much as I love them, the 12 is the best choice. Also mention of vehicular use. If you will be shooting from a vehicle then think about a pump action because you can ride easily, with the chamber empty and very quickly feed one when required. I have found a pumper better for that purpose.

That's what I was looking for, to put down on the variation "multi shot shotgun"

Do you need to put a shotgun moderator down, or is that deemed to be part of the SG licence.

So I can go along with buying Stingers, I think I was sold a pup on that one. Maybe purely from the noise side.

I do like 16 bore, as i regularly use an 'old' single barrel hammer action, with no safety catch. Probably because it did not cost me much, and I do not mind it getting damaged.

• 1 month later...

Just for info, I sent the variation in. But stupidly I sent a copy of my FAC and not the original. I had a phone call, from a very nice guy at Malvern PS, who accepted my stupidity. He sent me the new FAC cert as long as I trustingly sent my old one back. Whilst on the phone he filled it in for me as a "12b multi shot shotgun". Got it all back within 2 weeks, no problems.