Am I in trouble eaten a bird

hitfreshairagain

Hi everyone I hope you can help

I have a 6 year old lab I use for picking up pigeon and pheasant and has been pretty much a perfect dog for me ,at the end of the day I throw the birds in the back of the truck with the dog and he never so much as looks at them.until today😬.i got home to find he was eating the breasts out of a cock bird .has anyone come Across this on a trained dog that should be set in his ways .....I hope he is not ruined.

Thanks in advance lee

One of my lab bitches very occasionally helps herself to what ever may be laying next to her in the back of the truck. This is only ever after working hard all day with no food. She has had the opportunity to eat ducks, geese, pigeons and pheasants etc on hundreds of occasions, but will generally not touch a feather.

Imagine if you sent him for a bird and instead of retrieving it he headed for the nearest cover and ate it.

That's what my chesie did last season, twice.

He was hungry after a long day, he hasn't done it this season because I'm feeding him a little bit before we go and a little bit at lunch.

I got mine back from this heinous crime, I'm sure yours will be fine

Like others have said try not to give the dog the oportinity and problem is solved before it gets any worse.

Have heard plenty of stories from folk who have owned dogs that would eat the odd partridge/snipe or even grouse. 1 lad i picked up with his old dog would eat the first few partridge most days, know a grouse keeper who's dog does the same with grouse.

Sometimes if the skin over the gut is slightly burst that warm 'gutty' smell seems to make it more appealling to dogs