Field advice!?

Dazv

Hi all, first of all thanks to everyone who chipped with advice for me making my magnet!

Any ways a quick one so today I went out on a harvested hemp field with stubbles that are probably knee high on average. I had 9 decoys out plus the magnet spinning away and had very little interest from passing birds. Is there anything that jumps out to you guys as wrong? I must admit I don't really see many birds feeding on the hemp stubbles. I just though they would come out of there flight lines and investigate long enough to get a bead on! Plenty birds flying over just don't seem interested! Any advice?

Thanks guys

Darren

I think they are hammering the beech nuts at moment, maybe I'll have better luck when the nuts dry up!? Hopefully by then I'll have my licence I'm having to take a freind with his gun with me at the moment! I've been waiting 17weeks so far!

17 Weeks seems excessive , here in Norfolk mine came through in less than 4 weeks, as for the hemp, anything knee high is going to be difficult to set up believable decoys unless you can find flattened areas, If they already have good feeding areas nearby they will just fly back and forth to those but keep trying as every day is different, If I dont have an area where they are feeding strongly , I look for a flight line over a short crop or recently drilled crop, that way the decoys stand out and can be easily seen as they pass overhead.

Once the main feeding areas are depleted ,acorns, beach mast etc, they will go back to patrolling on the look out for fresh feed and are much more likely to investigate decoy patterns, November / December are always a bit slow ,Just keep looking around your permission for signs of interest and take whatever opportunities arise, It will soon pick up once we get some really cold spells and they start to gather in larger numbers. Good luck with your licence, you have more patience than I would having to wait that long. :yes::yes: