zeroing on a hill

hellier0437

i have just bought a ruger 10/22 and want to zero it. I have a choice of sloping and flat land but am not sure which to use. preferably i would like to shoot downhill for safety but will ths alter my POI on a target? if so, by how much?

Thanks for any help

tom

Intresting but wrong, shooting uphill or downhill the POI is always higher, due to the fact there is less gravitational force applied :lol:

In fact there was full explanation of it the free hunters guide that was given away with one of the shooting mags, I know 'cos some bloke at work was boring me to death with it . .

From the snipercountry site..

"Shooting Uphill/Downhill

Bullet drop does not change very much when shooting uphill/downhill. But the rifle will appear to shoot high. In fact it shoots high by almost the same amount whether you are shooting up or down. Therefore you must adjust your hold or change your scope when taking shots at high angle, especially as range increases. If you know what the drop (d) is for your bullet at any given range, you can use the following table to calculate the amount your bullet will shoot high, in inches.

Think about a 600 yd shot downhill at 40 degrees -- Instead of a 50" correction we are talking about a 40" correction. Check your tables or ballistics program for your rifle. If you would like to know what it is right now, then try JBM's online ballistics calculator! Just use your "back" button on your web browser to return."

Intresting but wrong, shooting uphill or downhill the POI is always higher, due to the fact there is less gravitational force applied :(

I did mean high :lol: It's early.

Slight correction in what you say as well stuart, exactly the same gravitational force has been applied. Gravitational force is related only to the mass of an object and is a physical constant.

The easiest way to imagine it :- Bullet has a curved path. It rises above POI and falls back down to the POI, on level ground.

On a hill, with the same zero, the bullet would rise above the expected POI and strike the target before it had a chance to fall to the expected zero'd POI - which means earlier in its travel, which means higher up on the curve.

Slight correction in what you say as well stuart, exactly the same gravitational force has been applied. Gravitational force is related only to the mass of an object and is a physical constant.

Funny thing is last time I used those exact same words someone corrected me :lol:

What I mean to say is gravity is applied for less time/distance/whatever :(

In practical terms, I never give this stuff a seconds thought as it always results in a miss.

I have shot 2 hinds stood next to each in Scotland shooting down at 45 degrees, the shots were about 120 yards, it was only after when my mate said 'did you aim low' that I gave it a seconds thought.

And no I didn't, they both went down and didn't get up again.

It makes no difference to us mortals (except those of us regulary take foxes out to 400 yards with their hmr's of course)

But I still maintain is a useful excuse to keep in your back pocket for an inexplicable miss :(

It certainly has a lot more cred then "that's odd, my scope my have taken a knock" :lol: