Pulling on lead.

Laird Lugton

Use a trainer. And lead walk every day. He doesn't pull, just has his head infront.

No offence taken. What would you suggest, hitting? Choking!? Beating? Shirt sharo taps on lead and direction change hasn't seemed to work on my very energetic spaniel

When you are walking him on the lead stop as soon as he gets his head in front. Make him sit for a random amount of time, different each time, then heel him up and continue. When he walks in the correct position talk to him quietly and soothingly. As soon as his head goes in front of you, abruptly stop and sit him! Then continue until he does it again.

Should take four or five walks to get the message through, but will need reinforcing every now and then.

When you are walking him on the lead stop as soon as he gets his head in front. Make him sit for a random amount of time, different each time, then heel him up and continue. When he walks in the correct position talk to him quietly and soothingly. As soon as his head goes in front of you, abruptly stop and sit him! Then continue until he does it again.

Should take four or five walks to get the message through, but will need reinforcing every now and then.

Exactly what i do. When i say i front im talking head at most... He is a very keen dog. Always wanting to work for me

Exactly what i do. When i say i front im talking head at most... He is a very keen dog. Always wanting to work for me

The dog is doing what you allow him to do. If you are doing what I suggested then he wouldn't be leading you. You would be leading him.

I've had keen dogs. Two of them would pull a man down yet I could stop them and recall them whilst they were in full flight. Same with hunting dogs. My dogs weren't the ones running in and coursing hares in the beating line. You won't lose the keenness by enforcing your primacy over the dog. If anything the dog will actually respect you more.

Set and enforce the boundaries and maintain consistency. That's all you need to do.

No shootingegg he's keen to work for himself lol.

It's very hard to explain but timing is EVERYTHING!! Praise when he's in the right place, a loud NO!! when he's pulling and absolutely no choking/ hitting etc!

I don't do the hitting etc.

And a loud no at 5:30 whilst walking through a residential area may not go down well..

His recall is very good his stop is good its just heel work has gone to pot.. And now have hijacked op (sorry)