How much should I pay for a goose?

lord_seagrave

£19 lidl advert just been on

I fully understand people wanting cheap food, I am no different myself, but as a farmer I can't understand how you can produce them for that price never mind pluck and dress them too.

I bought 50 four week old geese in April, they were £13.50 each, they've since had maybe £5 worth of food each (feed wheat=cheap), had straw for bedding and I have had to give them this feed, let them out and shut them away every single day.

I wil cost about £10 a bird to kill, pluck and dress. So at £19 a bird I would have lost money never mind got paid for my effort.

There's a thread on here about working for pin money!

I fully understand people wanting cheap food, I am no different myself, but as a farmer I can't understand how you can produce them for that price never mind pluck and dress them too.

I bought 50 four week old geese in April, they were £13.50 each, they've since had maybe £5 worth of food each (feed wheat=cheap), had straw for bedding and I have had to give them this feed, let them out and shut them away every single day.

I wil cost about £10 a bird to kill, pluck and dress. So at £19 a bird I would have lost money never mind got paid for my effort.

There's a thread on here about working for pin money!

Promotional prices don't always make money, at that money they're obviously doing it for headline advertising reasons.

Promotional prices don't always make money, at that money they're obviously doing it for headline advertising reasons.

When they do these promotions everyone else has to follow, that's what supermarkets do. So when Lidl put geese on sale at £19 the other supermarkets have to get their prices down so they can compete.

Everybody then decides to get their geese from the supermarket and folk like me struggle to find a buyer unless I really do just give them away.

As far as my geese go it isn't a disaster because I raise them more along hobby lines than anything. The problem is that they do it with everything and as a fruit and veg farmer that is a disaster.

The food industry in this country does seem to be in a race to the bottom as far as prices go, every supermarket advertises on theirs being cheapest. All well and good for the consumer but it is putting the producers out of business.

This race to the bottom is why we ended up with horse in our burgers, nothing wrong with horse but you have no idea where it came from or what it died of.

Just looked this up from a farmer price list we use, proper bird, properly reared, slaughtered, plucked and hung, 5-7kg:

£13.56 kg, so L_S, I'd say you'll be paying £70+ and worth every penny in my opinion.

That big one we had wouldn't fit in the big oven and we had to trim the legs down, probably the biggest goose I've seen.

Back in the 80s I worked on a farm with the (farmer's) wife and her 2000 turkeys (poultry was a woman's business) and know why good meat is better and more expensive than the mass produced offering. Though I totally understand the place for cheap food, I can say from experience that these Lidl/ Aldi birds are not nearly comparable.

Edited by yod dropper

When they do these promotions everyone else has to follow, that's what supermarkets do. So when Lidl put geese on sale at £19 the other supermarkets have to get their prices down so they can compete.

Everybody then decides to get their geese from the supermarket and folk like me struggle to find a buyer unless I really do just give them away.

As far as my geese go it isn't a disaster because I raise them more along hobby lines than anything. The problem is that they do it with everything and as a fruit and veg farmer that is a disaster.

The food industry in this country does seem to be in a race to the bottom as far as prices go, every supermarket advertises on theirs being cheapest. All well and good for the consumer but it is putting the producers out of business.

This race to the bottom is why we ended up with horse in our burgers, nothing wrong with horse but you have no idea where it came from or what it died of.

I hate supermarkets with a passion, they are responsible for destroying all manner of small businesses under the guise of competition and have now got us where they wanted us, unable to source essentials anywhere else. The same is true with DIY stores who destroyed the old haberdasheries. Blood sucking capitalism at its rancid worst.

Governments the world over are knee deep involved in this treachery against the common man. I would happily pay more for all essentials such as milk, meat and vegetables if it meant millions more of us could benefit from extra jobs and see the return to vegetables looking and tasting like they're meant to. The reason I shop at places like Aldi is because I want all the major ones to fail which they will as they're in denial.

Edited by Hamster