First Roe

oowee

Out at 630 cold and wet to arrive at my new Perm at about 730 with trusty guide Bumpy22 off here. As we are getting out of the truck I have to take a moment to admire some unusual vegetation when we are surprised (well i was) by a couple of deer trotting behind the truck along the track. All a bit rushed so we let them be. Then Bumpy spots a Munty just across the first field. All excited now and raring to go :)

Up into the first field less than 100m from the truck there is a Doe standing in a hollow in the field. Head held high she is scenting the wind, we are the wrong side and stand to admire whilst she decides which way she wants to go. We leave her there and sett off through a small copse to the next field.

A small group of four are standing on the other side upwind :). We stalk closer using a dip in the hill as cover and get to 120m or so but we are a little high and the back stop is not so strong. We sit and observe for maybe 30 mins. I struggle to keep my fingers warm I have to carry the rifle and the sticks today :| We work out that there is a mature Doe amongst the Bucks. We need to improve the back stop and reduce the range. Back we track staying low dropping behind the ridge down the field and back towards a small copse (where I had set of a cam a few days before) between us and the target. Aware that I may be on camera i tidy my jacket a little and smile.

IMAG0043_zps54qeiujr.jpg

Now we are 80m away laying prone, the bucks are out but the Doe is staying in cover. We wait and the time passes. Its very cold, very wet but I am too focused for cold hands or to notice the discomfort. Eventually after maybe 30 mins she shows herself enough for a shot. Bumpy checks i am happy to take it and I squeeze the trigger. Noise and recoil result in me missing the point of impact. I lift my head from the stock and she is off in an arc behind the hedge :unhappy:. We wait and wait, I am sure the shot was good. After what feels like a lifetime we go to see where she stood looking for evidence but there is no trail. I thought the shot was good. Bumpy goes off to look over the field and I am left to search the grass but nothing, maybe i missed :| Down the field I go and I am asked to check the field edge. Nothing. 'Better to have missed cleanly than to have a runner' I say but feel dismayed that I could miss from so close. Then I see the Doe lying in the ditch :):):) Bumpy had found it 10 mins earlier :rolleyes:

20161120_092120_zpsdldbxaps.jpg

Now the hard work begins. Amazing what you can do with a tikka :lol:. What better way to spend a Sunday morning. So much to learn.

A big thank you Edd.

lovely weather. very impressive shot under the circumstances.freezing cold, blowing a gale, heavy rain, lying in a muddy field for half an hour waiting for a shot to present , using a small bag as a front rest and the nerves of your fist deer. well done. first of many I am sure

Really pleased for ya and no matter how many you shoot in the future you'll always remember that first one , sounds like you had some great help with Bumpy but it's just as well you were on the rifle cus he's prone to missing the odd Shot 🐺🐺 as we well know!!! 😀😀 well done both of ya

Really pleased for ya and no matter how many you shoot in the future you'll always remember that first one , sounds like you had some great help with Bumpy but it's just as well you were on the rifle cus he's prone to missing the odd Shot as we well know!!! well done both of ya

had to let one go ;) . managed another 2 more friday numbers must be right up there now but not quite near the century :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

another good stalk this morning plenty of deer on the ground. we grassed another deer but the highlight is watching oowee stalking grow. from spotting deer to closing those important yards to get that shot away. it is great to see his knowledge of deer grow as only experience can do

• 2 weeks later...