Fast driving / track days

Thunderbird

I want to get a track day as a Christmas present for somebody. I know I could look on a generic red letter days website, but I wanted to know whether you guys have any recommendations.

Area wise, ideally somewhere in south central, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Beds, Gloucestershire though it doesn't have to be.

Probably something along the lines of a fast Impreza or something like that.

Opinions?

Bro in law did the everyman racing thing,

Drove a Ferarri/Aston Martin/Lambo

Thoroughly enjoyed it,

It does get very busy though, (Elvington at York) so I would go early because it's non stop,

Sign up for all of your drives as soon as you get there, (DON'T FORGET YOUR LICENSE as they won't let you drive without it)

You are not allowed to drive like a hooligan, spin it and you're done, you can also go as a passenger in an Atom for extra,

Try Argos as they have some good offers for Everyman at times

:shaun:

Not a Scooby, but http://uk.caterhamcars.com/experience/caterham-circuit-experience would get my vote if the budget allowed.

Or if you want to push the boat even further out... http://www.palmersport.com

With either of the above, you'll have none of the "keep it below 4,000 revs" or "no more than 100mph, please" nonsense that you get with some of the "experience day" operators.

Edited by SxS

Bro in law did the everyman racing thing,

<snip>

You are not allowed to drive like a hooligan, spin it and you're done, you can also go as a passenger in an Atom for extra,

Very different to Palmersport, where we were encouraged to properly wring the cars' necks if we wanted to or just bimble round if we didn't. Spinning a 911 resulted in mickey taking from the instructor (and straight back on to track rather than being shown the door)... wish I could afford to go again!

Not a Scooby, but http://uk.caterhamcars.com/experience/caterham-circuit-experience would get my vote if the budget allowed.

Or if you want to push the boat even further out... http://www.palmersport.com/

With either of the above, you'll have none of the "keep it below 4,000 revs" or "no more than 100mph, please" nonsense that you get with some of the "experience day" operators.

Your link for Palmersport doesn't work

:shaun:

I asked when at Elvington York of the driver who came with me in the Lambo,whats the fastest drive and whats the best drive. The Ariel Atom is the quickest you would feel but the Maclaren he said was the best drive and so fast.

On A very wet rainy day I opted to rag round the track the Lambo Balboni rear wheel drive because i am brave or stupid.

I dont think any other car will give you the thrill of a supercharged Ariel Atom.

You can even hire a Caterham for a day or two to drive around your local B roads... they do track days also.

I was bought a days Caterham hire for a birthday present, I can thoroughly recommend that, but would pay for as many miles as you can as they tend to rack up very quickly ;)

There is someone in the Cotswolds who does this as I spoke to them at the time, he even offered me 3 cars for the price of two if I could rustle up some mate to take all three.

Now that would have been a Grand Day Out!

I asked when at Elvington York of the driver who came with me in the Lambo,whats the fastest drive and whats the best drive. The Ariel Atom is the quickest you would feel but the Maclaren he said was the best drive and so fast.

On A very wet rainy day I opted to rag round the track the Lambo Balboni rear wheel drive because i am brave or stupid.

I dont think any other car will give you the thrill of a supercharged Ariel Atom.

Should i ever win the lottery, the Atom and a RR vogue are the only two cars i would want above and beyond what i have now.

...., you'll have none of the "keep it below 4,000 revs" or "no more than 100mph, please" nonsense that you get with some of the "experience day" operators.

I can't remember where he went but that was exactly what my son-in-law got. He came away disappointed, he'd driven his own car faster, and my daughter came away disappointed, she'd spent a great deal of money.

Shop around!

I did a driving experience day at castle Combe as a birthday present over 10 years ago now.....totally hooked and never looked back! There at least, the instructor seemed to pick up on how much I was enjoying it and had me pushing the car as hard as I wanted within reason.

I have a dedicated track car now and do on average 10 days a year there, it helps only living 10 minutes down the road.

The adrenaline rush is unbeatable for me and satisfies my need for speed without doing so on the roads!

I happenes to get a ride round in the fastest caterham they make driven by their pro driver earlier this year, now that was the best buzz in a car I've had.....amazing!

Edited by Wilts#Dave