France & Germany politic

ditchman

This is not "a letter from america"...altho' i miss alistaire cook's broadcasts emmensly........but having a lot of time listening to the news agency's i do wonder what the world...Europe...E.U. are going to be like in 18mths-2years...

Sarcozy hasnt even got a look in...and is retiring from the scene...his parting speech included the words.."i will support both candidates but hope they will not include any far right decisions"......Marine le penn....is still strong .....will she capture the presidentcy ? and if so will she carry out her manifesto...and will she introduce a Frexit referendum..?

Angels merks....i think she is a stabilising influence on the EU and is someone we can do business with....but her throwing her hat in the ring again i believe is a bad move....many of her party will always connect her with the influx of refugees and upsetting the natural order of all things germanic..............those people are going to leave her party and vote for the growing far right wings.....

all this and Brexit....National Trumperism.....its all very catching.........and the Dutch are not happy.....

what will things be like in 2 years from now.................?? :hmm:

This is not "a letter from america"...altho' i miss alistaire cook's broadcasts emmensly........but having a lot of time listening to the news agency's i do wonder what the world...Europe...E.U. are going to be like in 18mths-2years...

Sarcozy hasnt even got a look in...and is retiring from the scene...his parting speech included the words.."i will support both candidates but hope they will not include any far right decisions"......Marine le penn....is still strong .....will she capture the presidentcy ? and if so will she carry out her manifesto...and will she introduce a Frexit referendum..?

Angels merks....i think she is a stabilising influence on the EU and is someone we can do business with....but her throwing her hat in the ring again i believe is a bad move....many of her party will always connect her with the influx of refugees and upsetting the natural order of all things germanic..............those people are going to leave her party and vote for the growing far right wings.....

all this and Brexit....National Trumperism.....its all very catching.........and the Dutch are not happy.....

what will things be like in 2 years from now.................?? :hmm:

Who knows...this rise in the power return to the common man is all very well, but far right politics is really frightening.

Who knows...this rise in the power return to the common man is all very well, but far right politics is really frightening.

Has the common man ever had power? the minute they get power or into a place they think they can be of an influence it goes to there head, Salmond, Sturgon, Farage , Corbyn and a good few others.

These are interesting times. It is like a perfect storm brewing over the whole question of the EU's legitimacy as the supreme power in Europe.

In France Hollande's party are down and out. They haven't a chance to win again. Their victory was a safe protest vote against the conservatives headed by Sarkozy. Le Pen and the FN is very popular but in a straight run off with the conservatives her party isn't likely to win IF the conservatives head off the protest vote by adopting some UKIP type policies as our conservatives did last time around. The FN will undoubtedly gain seats, but I can't see them winning outright. I reckon that the French election will be largely fought over EU agendas and national politicians aren't going to stand up for the EU's Utopian ideals of that will cost them their parliamentary seat.

In Germany Merkel is far more secure. Yet the far right are likely to make ground so again she will have to adopt some UKIP type policies to minimise the damage.

The divisive point of the Treaty of Rome is Article 3 © "the abolition, as between Member States, of the obstacles to the free movement of persons, services and capital" (Boris was wrong in his outburst last week as there always has been the commitment to freedom of movement of people throughout the EU.)

However, there is scope for argument regards Article 3 (f) "the establishment of a system ensuring that competition shall not be distorted in the Common Market". To me the whole thing about movement of labour is down to a distortion of competition. The minimum wage in Romania is one-sixth of that in the UK, France or Germany. There are disparities in welfare benefits and health care. They have implemented Article 3 © with no concern to ensuring that Article 3 (f) is in place. And that is what is causing the problems along with the demands that member countries take quotas of non-EU refugees.

So the French and German elections are likely to be a battle ground over whether the respective countries should continue to support the EU Treaty or push for more independence. Either way, the EU is likely to be squeezed from all sides and I wouldn't be surprised to see Junkers sacrificed in the next month or so to try and allow a softening of EU policy.

wouldnt it be strange if...Holland broke away ...greece broke away ...france broke away russia plays ball america and canada and new zealand australia joins in ...then Great Britain formed a "free trade organisation"...where industry and agricultural ministers would meet and talk trade and no politics was involved...........

sort of a "common market" sort of thing....now where have i heard that before... :hmm:

Edited by ditchman

Things have taken a turn in the last few days. The EU have suspended discussions on Turkey's application to join the EU. That possibly was to pacify the German electorate who are worried about the potential floods of Turks coming to join their relatives in the Fatherland. However, Turkey is at present holding back tens of thousands of migrants from crossing into the EU. This was the most popular route until Turkey was bribed to close their borders. Now, there is nothing for Turkey to work for so they will once again sell the migrants fake Yamaha life jackets and ferry them to Greece where they will claim asylum in the EU.

It is all getting nasty and just reinforces the decision to cut ties with the EU and take back control of the UK borders.

The world is smaller each day. We have more in common than things that divide us. Co-operation will be the route to success in an ever competitive world. If we cannot find a way to do it we will see a erosion of living standards as we start to face real labour competition with the rising third world nations.

One way or another we will need a European collaboration.

• 2 years later...
On 21/11/2016 at 14:22, ditchman said:

what will things be like in 2 years from now.................??

Or even 3+ years :lol:

43 minutes ago, ditchman said:

wot on earth are you doing looking at a post of mine which is 3 years old............

that is soooo embarassing

Well I was looking at an old post by Adge Cutler and somehow it lead me to your post, I thought it was interesting what we thought 3 years ago and how things have turned out 3 years on.

On 21/11/2016 at 17:47, ditchman said:

wouldnt it be strange if...Holland broke away ...greece broke away ...france broke away russia plays ball america and canada and new zealand australia joins in ...then Great Britain formed a "free trade organisation"...where industry and agricultural ministers would meet and talk trade and no politics was involved...........

sort of a "common market" sort of thing....now where have i heard that before...

You heard a whisper very many years ago, but the whisper got quieter over the years until we realised we were due a bloody good shafting by our EU friends.

I disagree

I have family in Germany (my step sister) and my mothers family came from Germany many years ago so I have always taken an interest.

The one thing I can tell you is that Germany and UK are chalk and cheese. The Germans still believe Germany is the master race although they are more guarded about saying so. Britain still believes we are a Colonial power to be reckoned with.

we will never see eye to eye

On 25/11/2016 at 22:32, oowee said:

The world is smaller each day. We have more in common than things that divide us. Co-operation will be the route to success in an ever competitive world. If we cannot find a way to do it we will see a erosion of living standards as we start to face real labour competition with the rising third world nations.

One way or another we will need a European collaboration.

Where in Germany. There is a big difference between North and South in the attitudes. However my comment is nothing to do with attitude or national profiles its simply a reflection of dwindling resources against increasing demand. At some point the two positions are unsustainable and the closer we get the more important collaboration will be. The bigger your  team the greater the firepower. 

Whilst we could align with the US that is likely to be a weak proposition as their geographical disposition and population spread coupled with consumption is likely to see greater difficulties their first. The higher the standard the further the fall. 

59 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Sorry Vince what ********.

I have never heard any german comment like you say master race (confident yes) and I have over 45 years experience of that country.

Its certainly not anything I recognise. I have nothing like your knowledge of the country but in the past had offices in Stuttgart, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf. I always found a warm welcome and whilst the standard of living always looked to be well beyond that of the UK, there was a very pragmatic and organised approach to business with no sense of superiority. 

13 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The one thing I can tell you is that Germany and UK are chalk and cheese. The Germans still believe Germany is the master race although they are more guarded about saying so.

3 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

Sorry Vince what ********.

I have never heard any german comment like you say master race (confident yes) and I have over 45 years experience of that country.

2 hours ago, oowee said:

whilst the standard of living always looked to be well beyond that of the UK, there was a very pragmatic and organised approach to business with no sense of superiority. 

I'm currently in Germany every couple of weeks with work, so I have nowhere near Bavarianbrit's experience.  BUT I have had many conversations, and some after-hours meals with colleagues, customers and suppliers. 

I can't help but reach the conclusion that there is a feeling in Germany, that the world be so much better, if only it was run like Germany.  "We do things properly." 

I think to call it a belief in a master race is a hell of a stretch.  Just a quiet confidence.