Any PW archers?

pegasus bridge

I know literally nothing about archery, however my Nan has recently given me a bow my late grandad had in the back of a cupboard. I know that it's a recurve bow, think it's from the 70's. anyway, I'm looking for some advice on setting it up again, it will need new string, and some arrows - I would be grateful of some advise as to what sort and length I need! I will post some pics asap.

What do the numbers on this mean?

post-9454-0-96247400-1479747591_thumb.jpgpost-9454-0-65450700-1479747608_thumb.jpg

Yes, the bow should be that shape.

It's a Marksman Forest Ranger, 63" length, 30 lb draw weight at 26" draw length.

Marksman don't exist any more, but their designer/bowyer Keith Gascoigne now runs KG Archery, and might be able to give you more info.

http://www.kgarchery.com/

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Nice to see another one of those, I recently bought one from a local car boot sale exactly the same as that one, the only reason i bought it was because my grandad and uncle worked for marksmen archery, they used to design and manufacture them when the firm was owned by les howis - they were the pioneers of using composites in bow design, i used to work there during my summer holidays. This could even be one i made when i was there

Originally based in cuckney, Creswell, then at the dukeries estate on the outskirts of Worksop.

No longer around as the company broke up some years ago, my uncle is a master bowyer and still hand makes English longbows in the traditional way at his workshop in Creswell (Peter Bakewell).

The 63 is the limb length and the other 2 figures are arrow length and draw weight, 7654 is the serial number, i seem to remember when i restrung mine the bowstring needs to be 4" shorter than limb length, please check all areas on the limbs just in case of delamination, these bows are now getting to be the best part of 40 years old.

NEVER DRAW THE BOW AND FIRE WITHOUT AN ARROW AS IT WILL TEAR IT APART !!!!!

Just looking at the pics again, it looks as though its a left handed one

I can remember Keith Gascoigne when i used to work there.

The string can be stored on the bow as it is, but to use it the string needs to be fitted correctly, at the moment it is back to front, there is a definite knack to doing this without a bow stringer, it would be worthwhile in investing in one so you can string and de string it safely.

Edited by wingnut

Do any of you Archers know where in the Midlands I could buy some coaching for my secretary as an Xmas present ?

She has won a few competitions and is quite good I believe but thought I'd try and get her some help to become even better. Might cost me a fortune if she makes the Olympics and we have to go support her though !

• 2 weeks later...

I would love something like this to play with in the back garden. Any idea where to look and what I should pay?

Hope you have a big back garden - back stops are just as important in archery as in rifle shooting.

A bow like this will reach a 100 yards easily, and as aiming accurately at that range is a real skill, especially barebow, the area at risk is really quite large.

And honestly, if you have less than 15 yrds available + back stop I wouldn't bother...

I would advise at the very least having someone show you how to shoot - chewing chunks out of your arm is a pretty real possibility with poor or inattentive arm position. Also, with a bow @30lbs if you haven't shot a bow before it will be a fairly unpleasant, achey and shaky experience after two or three arrows. There is a reason why those starting out are taught with 15lbs draw, allows development of a solid technique without over stressing any muscles.

Used to shoot field archery, nearest you will get to live game in this country. Different classes for different bows and also the arrows you shoot. Hunting class was recurve bow with metal arrows, the same bow shooting wooden arrows was called hunting tackle. If I remember correctly. A lot of fun can be had if you start making your own arrows 👍🏼

as of most of this year I have had an increasing urge to get my hands on a CHEAP entry level bow to have play with and this thread has just increased it ten fold ...................wish my granddad had one of those lying round ...........or even better I wish my dad and granddad were still with us.

as of most of this year I have had an increasing urge to get my hands on a CHEAP entry level bow to have play with and this thread has just increased it ten fold ...................wish my granddad had one of those lying round ...........or even better I wish my dad and granddad were still with us.

Merlin Archery, I recently got a 30 or 35lb Samick Sage for £99!

If anything I would have started with a lower one, maybe a 20lb bow. A few people said this but I thought I knew better lol, don't do the same!

Merlin Archery, I recently got a 30 or 35lb Samick Sage for £99!

If anything I would have started with a lower one, maybe a 20lb bow. A few people said this but I thought I knew better lol, don't do the same!

Deffinately agree. I'm a big lad and struggled to stay steady when trying to use a 40lb bow!