Burglary

jonny thomas

Seems we're having a mini scumbag epidemic in my area (Filton for those who know bristol)

Anybody got any tips my cabinet is secure and is fixed in the cupboard under the stairs the dog lives in there in a Harry Potter Style

Keys are in a small key safe in the big safe

Can/should I do any more very few people know I have guns

Wouldn't leave the keys about mate! Putting up signs "Beware of the dog" or signs of a dog are always good, even if you don't have one.

Most burglars would rather move onto an easy house than risk getting bit etc.

I'm only down the road btw 👍🏻 Any decent shooting around Bristol ?

as I see it most of the guns that people have in this country are not the sort that criminals really want even a sown off shotgun is not easy to hide and if people get caught with them is it worth doing 5 years if you could get hold of hand guns that would be another matter much simpler to hide.

What to do with the keys is a problem as if you carry your keys on you then if the bad guys now that you have guns all that they have to do is mug you they can get your car house safe keys also your debit/credit cards all in one go.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Wouldn't leave the keys about mate! Putting up signs "Beware of the dog" or signs of a dog are always good, even if you don't have one.

Most burglars would rather move onto an easy house than risk getting bit etc.

I'm only down the road btw Any decent shooting around Bristol ?

I only shoot clays my youngest runs a shoot as part of his collage course (gamekeeping and wildlife management)

We usually go to Mendip shooting ground other the valley both good shoots Mendip is more convenient as it's open most days the valley is a better shoot imho

Sounds like your cabinet is secure and out of sight. And if keys are locked In a safe too then its a lot of hassle for someone to get in etc...

And a beware of dog sign may put them off, they want easy pickings..

Lloyd, you looking for clay, game, pest???

Just finally put the cabinet into my Bristol address mate, going to look around for pest control 👍🏻

In 30 years of Policing in Liverpool, I went to an awful lot of Burglaries. In the countless number of domestic premises that I attended over those years, I can only recall around SIX of them occurring on premises that had an alarm. Of that 6, 2 did not have a bell box on the rear of the premises, but the offenders left as soon as the alarm activated (after they were inside) and 1 occurred at a premises that only had door and window contacts. They just went around, broke every rear window, climbed in and cleared the bedrooms of valuables. I would disagree with the theory that the average 'Druggie' would not bother with taking any guns HE WILL. They can be sold to get the next 'fix' and the main Dealers will sort out their turf wars with them. Only this week in Liverpool a trial has taken place where a young man was shot in the back with a shotgun. I doubt the Offenders were on their way to the local clay shoot ! I could never quite work out why people would pay thousands of pounds for their holiday, BUT baulk at paying around £500 for a half decent alarm system (NOT the Yale 'special' from Screw-Fix). I have had a good alarm system for nearly 30 years and because both my last and my current properties were/are bungalows, all of my windows are at ground floor level. I therefore have Viper shock detectors fitted on all of the windows, they are fitted with a red flashing LED (visual deterrent) and are adjustable for sensitivity. Should anyone try to force a window or the back door, the alarm will activate, it also rings my mobile. In all of the years of having a house alarm, I have only suffered 2 false activations, they were both 'woodpigeons revenge' they had flown into the patio doors and activated the alarm ! The alarm system is based around the "keep em out" theory, rather than chase them away AFTER they have gained access.

The signs are okay if you don't actually have a dog. If you do have a dog, a sign like that weakens your legal rights if the dog bites someone.

Gordon, I'm intrigued, genuine question, if I leave my dogs out with no warning I'm in a better state of mitigation if they bite someone?

Gordon, I'm intrigued, genuine question, if I leave my dogs out with no warning I'm in a better state of mitigation if they bite someone?

I think so, as the sign insinuates you know the dogs may be prone to biting intruders.. Personally i think more fool them for intruding.. But law doesnt sode with the victim all the time

Lloyd where in bristol are you? North, south??

Jonny, you ever tried blagdon for clays? This sunday coming if you've not.. google "blagdon valley gun club"

Edited by ShootingEgg

kyska - ShootingEgg has it.

If you put the sign up, you acknowledge that you have a dog that bites. The dog then bites someone who sues you. You knew the risk beforehand and were prepared to take that risk. Therefore you stand the consequences.

I don't say it will remove your rights - that would be insane, but it does weaken them. It could and would be used against you.

The world has gone mad.

Has anyone ever known a standard cabinet forced open in situ, or where the cabinets always taken off site to be broken open

A cabinet was removed in Worcestershire a few months back http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/NEWs/14475844.Shotgun_stolen_in_Tenbury/

I opted for a monitored alarm with a police response for a confirmed activation.

Has anyone ever known a standard cabinet forced open in situ, or where the cabinets always taken off site to be broken open

Yea on the point of impact shooting group on Facebook a member posted pictures of his cabinet after it had been crow barred open I believe 😳

kyska - ShootingEgg has it.

If you put the sign up, you acknowledge that you have a dog that bites. The dog then bites someone who sues you. You knew the risk beforehand and were prepared to take that risk. Therefore you stand the consequences.

I don't say it will remove your rights - that would be insane, but it does weaken them. It could and would be used against you.

The world has gone mad.

I have heard this although there are other signs "SHUT THE GATE, DOGS RUNNING LOOSE" etc

I have window/door jamb alarms and movement PIR,S so if they go through the windows their movements set the alarm off anyway.Double up the safe is bolted/cemented in place and then a chain is padlocked across the safe as well .Delay delay if theyre already in if the alarm doesnt stop em then make it as hard to get in or remove the safe as you can .And no BASC or Pigeon Watch stickers in your car windows ,why tell mr scrote youve got guns???

Growing up our house was never robbed, it should have been because it was a sitting duck! Big detached place with a wood forming one boundary, in Birmingham & the would be thief would enjoy complete privacy if attempting from the rear. I think the deterrent of lads in the house, someone in most of the time, dogs obviously present and obvious security precautions all helped the outcome! I think prospecting thieves just thought there are easier options about. Defend defend defend

Btw Johnny, i lived in Filton for almost two years in my 20's, nice place Bristol, your current topics excluded