Christmas Wine Recommendation

lord_seagrave

Chaps,

Gabriel Meffre, Lirac (red) 2013

£9.99

Waitrose, Telegraph Wines

I will be the first to admit to never having heard of Lirac, and one of the grapes that goes into this particular bottle (Mourvèdre) I had never heard of either! From some light Internet-based research, I see that I am not alone. I am now very much looking forward to exploring some more.

I picked this particular bottle up in the local Waitrose yesterday, and it's a stunner. Medium in body, but big and broad in taste, minerally and very French. It's got lots of spice and fragrance, without the heaviness that comes with some of those big southern reds. It is an excellent accompaniment to rich poultry and gamebirds.

I will be hovering, and the moment the pre-Christmas deals are announced, I will be buying in a case for the festive seaon.

1851ADFF-9F38-4B3E-BCCE-1B657F9C27CB.jpg

:good:

LS

Chaps,

Gabriel Meffre, Lirac ...

When I last visited my mate in Brum we were recommended to eat in this place: http://www.la-fibule.co.uk/ (which was excellent). We visited a wine shop in the city centre and as the place is BYO was aked for some recommendations. The first was a Cote de Rhone and a Lirac was the second. We opted for the Lirac (neither of us had heard of this grape and my mate's a Frog) and it was fantastic with the Moroccan food