exhibition show leeks

ROBLATCH

Rob best of luck with your sale but it is usual to have a lower price for a dozen to get folk to buy more., One for £2.00 or a dozen for £24.00. Do you have any pics of the fully grown Leeks?

EXHIBITION SHOW LEEKS
ALL IN 9CM POTS
CUMBRIA-SAMMY X
NORTHUMBRIAN LEEK
McKENZIE LEEK
T-C LEEK
ALL SHOWN OVER 300CU IN
£2 EACH/£24 doz
ready now
PM for Details

Edited by figgy

Rob best of luck with your sale but it is usual to have a lower price for a dozen to get folk to buy more., One for £2.00 or a dozen for £24.00. Do you have any pics of the fully grown Leeks?

yes thats £2 each which is 24 per dozen we would be out of pocket doing any less for a dozen, the head alone was lets say a large amount of money compost,vermiculite,pots, potting base etc etc we might just claw our money back, my dad has been an exhibition grower for years so i can only give the price he says.they will be cheaper buying over a dozen

the leeks which the heads came off are obviously finished now, but an example of those, are all on the Top Table with the first set 302 cu 2nd 246cu 3rd which were my own 297 cu but were knocked back for soil markshttp://imgur.com/a/6O3D3

Edited by ROBLATCH

yes thats £2 each which is 24 per dozen we would be out of pocket doing any less for a dozen, the head alone was lets say a large amount of money compost,vermiculite,pots, potting base etc etc we might just claw our money back, my dad has been an exhibition grower for years so i can only give the price he says.they will be cheaper buying over a dozen

the leeks which the heads came off are obviously finished now, but an example of those, are all on the Top Table with the first set 302 cu 2nd 246cu 3rd which were my own 297 cu but were knocked back for soil markshttp://imgur.com/a/6O3D3

:lol:

:lol:

mmmmmmmmmm 2x12 =24,, soil marks are those marks (soil) which has settled in the flags (leaves) during watering , 302 etc is cubic inch per pair i think this is best left to leek growers who know the ins and outs !! would you like to buy a 25ltr bag of john innes no2 sir ? also chempak potting base ? also horticultural vermiculite ? also horticultural sharp sand along with chempak feed no 8 ? because we also have plenty of that aswell :hmm:

how hard are they to grow?

run us through it from if I bought some off you

do you need a greenhouse etc

tbh they are not a thing you can plant and forget about, to get them up to show standard you need bulk and quality, hence the size in cu you would need a green house from this stage heated, and well lit we use gas tilley lamps at night as we dont have electricity for grow lights, they are sprayed on a weekly basis to avoid various flies,mites,aphids etc, leeks grow as tubers therefore like water but can dampen off in the early stages, we put them out into the tunnell in mid april to get them climatised and hardened of then aroun the 1st may planted into the prepared trenches in the tunnels left for a few weeks with only a small amount of watering and other stuff ( sorry i cannot say haha ) then from around 4 weeks with chempak no2 which is high in nitrogen then the last 8-12 weeks chempak no8 which is more ballanced to avoid them bursting below the button, we do use other feeds sprayers etc which i would not publish on an open forum or it may cause allotment wars hahaha. Give it a go tim its a realy good hobby ,,well at least for me,

Not knocking the price at all Rob they sound great value. Merely amused at the apparently unusual pricing structure.

If the cost for a dozen is £24 then one for £2 is cheap.Those that buy less appear to be subsidised by those that buy more?

sorry if i came across the wrong way there mate that is the price we sell them at i think its realy because every leek grower buys around 2 dozen which we then discount, as an instance we have had a guy collect 50 today and we charged him £80 but he did buy some of our surplus compost aswell so its swings and roundabouts realy :good:

So most importantly what do they taste like

to be perfectly honest they taste no different to any other leek you would buy from a supermarket,or pot leek, like the pennine or cairngorm etc,TBH i think blanch leeks as we call them taste stronger

Huge leeks them mate. Your advert brings back happy memories of my late dad who was an avid leek grower.

I can vouch that this is a very good price for top name leeks.

Good luck with the sale.

yeah my dad held the world champion at over 500 cu in 2014 but was beaten within 20 mins which was a shame, and that was with a sammyx