Whilst you are at work? Dog Advice.

Aled

Hello All

I would like to get a dog, a Labrador probably. However working hours are causing us to hold back.

For either three or four days a week, the dog will be left alone for between 5 and 7 hours a day. I am well aware that up and down the country there are perfectly acceptable working dogs left alone at home whilst masters are at work. I have space for a kennel and a run. For those of you who are at work how are your dogs housed? Kennelled outside? In the kitchen? Does somebody call in and walk them during the day? (there is a young lad nearby who has a business doing this)

The dog will be well walked (my in laws Lab stayed with us regularly and my wife and I used to argue as to who would walk the dog!) morning and night, they will also have plenty of companionship (2 children), care, and I will train to work (wildfowling and rough shooting). Whilst we are home, the dog will be allowed in the house, downstairs only.

So any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Aled

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I do with my spaniel.

Dog out in covered run (inside box with vet bed and fresh water, 1x2m covered outside area concrete slab) more than happy to go out, he's done this since day one.

In when people in the house, never upstairs.

Regular walks.

2 kids (14 &9)

Rough shooting around 15 days per year.

Edited by markm

My lab is at home all day while I'm at work. I do an early morning and evening walk, and I'm lucky to have a family member close by who takes her out around lunchtime. Things are changing soon as I'm moving house so I will be relying on a professional dog walker to do the daytime shift. Unfortunately it is £10 - £12 per walk depending on who you choose!

Thanks MrPhantom, we have family members nearby, but as they look after my children, I don't want them to look after our dog as well!. The children are nearly but not quite at an age where they will be they well could be the first home in the evening.

Cheers

Aled

How do people manage with pups, we have an older dog who is left a up to 5 hours a few days a week and is fine but one reason stopping me getting another is the thought of leaving a pup for more than a few hours.

Is the older dog kennelled or inside for that time? If kennelled I'd say just put the pup in (as long as they get along). It won't get lonely if it has the other dog for company. Even if they don't get on, you could divide the kennel so the pup can still see the other dog. Make sure it has toys to keep it interested, and proof the kennel as well as you can against chewing.

If inside maybe investigate a "playpen" for the pup whilst it's young. More freedom than a crate, but safer than letting it roam the house.

When you leave the pup, give it something to do (chew/antler/Kong with food in...) and leave whilst it's distracted doing something rewarding.

My dogs have always spent the days at home in the house and are perfectly happy with no problems. 9 times out of 10 my collie doesnt even bother getting up to see you when you walk in the door after 8 hours!

Dogs i have known that cant be left normally have other issues, especially with regards to who they think is boss!

Edited by ferguson_tom

A well exercised dog will sleep for most of the day. If you are prepared to put half hour to an hour off the lead walk in or a big training session in first thing in the morning most dogs will be content in a run sleeping the day away, especially a lab.

Exercise is the key though I think, personally a dog being left alone for 4-5 hours is acceptable as long as it has the exercise and fuss it needs when you're about.

Remember a dog that is around kids will have lots of fun, but will be a lot harder to train unless the family are all on board with the rules! Easy for the kids to play tug of war, a game of chase they all will have an adverse effect on your training. It just depends to what level you want your gundog to be trained.

Don't forget we need to get you out this season soon Al!!!! Don't forget to text me when you're free!

Rhodri

Cheers both. A big walk (and/or a training session) first thing in the morning will not be a problem, from previous experience its actually very good for dog and master!

Evening exercise will also not be a problem. Maybe I should wait a year or two for when my children start secondary school, as when I started secondary school my first job on getting home....was walking the dog!

Thanks Rods, was going to txt you this afternoon. Nice bit of woodcock weather at the moment.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

A well exercised dog will sleep for most of the day. If you are prepared to put half hour to an hour off the lead walk in or a big training session in first thing in the morning most dogs will be content in a run sleeping the day away, especially a lab.

Exercise is the key though I think, personally a dog being left alone for 4-5 hours is acceptable as long as it has the exercise and fuss it needs when you're about.

Remember a dog that is around kids will have lots of fun, but will be a lot harder to train unless the family are all on board with the rules! Easy for the kids to play tug of war, a game of chase they all will have an adverse effect on your training. It just depends to what level you want your gundog to be trained.

Don't forget we need to get you out this season soon Al!!!! Don't forget to text me when you're free!

Rhodri

+1 good advise

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/266464-dog-downsides/?hl=downsides

I have a dog walker at lunch time - when I do work from home he sleeps the entire day unless I move about - as he has done all day today...

it's doable just put the time in and if the dogs not happy look at all the causes as it might not just be alone time...

I work 38 hours a week without over time and upto 50 hours with over time. Mrs works 30 hours aswell. And are dog is fine she is walked 2 times every day without fail first in morn when i get in from work for a hour or so and then mrs or the eldest in the evening she in the house all the time.

Yes a bit more time needed as a pup to build that bond and to house train if kept in the house and i know a few people who work longer hour weeks and have kept there dogs in good shape and well looked after as long as the dog isnt neglected then theres no issues in my opinion