Whilst you are at work? Dog Advice.

Aled

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue that by asking this question I am doing the right thing, and thinking hard about having a dog. Outside working hours any dog I have would be well exercised, looked after, trained and have a lot of social interaction.However I am aware that all over the country there are dogs that spend a working days worth of time alone (owners out working) before spending the rest of the day being well looked after.

This is the issue I am wrangling with, as you have highlighted twistedsanity is it acceptable to leave the dog kennelled/or home alone for 6 hours a day.

Cheers

Aled

My one is in cage in house for approx two hours each morning sometimes maybe once a week three hours she shows no signs of being effected or bothered by it. On Monday it could be four hours as I am out all day without her loading / minding job. I think as long as you introduce the pup to being left for short amounts and build up slowly everything will be fine after all many working dogs are kennelled all day.

One view is do we really think the vast majority of dog owners either don't work, or can take their dogs to work - I might be naïve but seems somewhat unlikely...

Labs in particular don't need to be with you all day long, barely ever see any talk about "separation anxiety" in labs so I'd ignore the more negative comments flying about...

Thanks Fresh air, for the reasons you have outlined it is one of the reasons that a Black Labrador would be our first choice of dog. My in laws dog used to stay with us and he would quite happily stay indoors all day, he would have a long walk first thing in the morning and again as soon as we were home. He'd also have a short walk before bed time and before being closed in the kitchen in the morning.

Internal wrangling here!

Cheers

Aled

Can't believe people think it OK to get a dog and leave it alone all day long, why bother getting one if your not prepared to give it the time it deserves?

I have had dogs all my life apart from my army time and the dogs fit in with my lifestyle not me fitting in with the dog's.I have seen dogs that are with the "family" all day they also get treats all day and are fat and unfit then some of these people have had the gall to say I am cruel because I keep them in kennels and I am not feeding them enough because you can see their ribs when they move, some days my dogs are out with me shooting all day other days they may be in the kennel all day.

I have had dogs all my life apart from my army time and the dogs fit in with my lifestyle not me fitting in with the dog's.I have seen dogs that are with the "family" all day they also get treats all day and are fat and unfit then some of these people have had the gall to say I am cruel because I keep them in kennels and I am not feeding them enough because you can see their ribs when they move, some days my dogs are out with me shooting all day other days they may be in the kennel all day.

My dogs are left from 8-2 everyday and I don't see a problem, I get up at 5 to spend time with them before I go to work and when I return home they get loads of active playtime. As geordieh points out that's better than being fed junk all-day and getting overweight.

My view is the amount of dogs getting put down and in rehoming shelters is testament to the huge numbers of unsuitable people purchasing dogs. That said only the op knows if he's suitable and I think you need to have a honest and realist think as to if you can provide a suitable home for any pet dog, all anyone can do on here is speculate, anyone on here stating that their dog is left for X number of hours and they're fine proves very little and I would suggest anyone suggesting long hours for a dog on its own is fine regardless of breed should be taken with a pinch of salt.

because a lot of people in this world has to work

I would suggest that IF someone has to work long hours with the dog left on its own then that is a very good reason not to own one in the first place. This is also why anyone buying a dog needs to think carefully about their future situation as far as possible as 10-20 years is a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My two are walked at 6:00am and then fed. They then go to boarding kennels (doggy daycare) where they have a warm and secure kennel and run.

They get 2 walks during the day and a run in the paddock.

I then collect them at about 6:00pm and walk them and feed them

We can drop them off anytime after 6:00am and pick them up any time up until about 8:30pm

Costs £28 per day

Whatever, remember your not there and said dog might spend the day yowling and howling for hours on end like two we have next door to us. Our own dogs over the last 50 years or more have always had someone to let them have a run twice a day if we were both at work at the same time. They have always lived in as family.

My two are walked at 6:00am and then fed. They then go to boarding kennels (doggy daycare) where they have a warm and secure kennel and run.

They get 2 walks during the day and a run in the paddock.

I then collect them at about 6:00pm and walk them and feed them

We can drop them off anytime after 6:00am and pick them up any time up until about 8:30pm

Costs £28 per day

£28 per day, ruddy ell.

I reckon three hours per day on her own is the limit for my bitch but I admit it probably bothers me more than it bothers her, I am a big softie 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I walk my fox terrier at 4am for 20 mins then when the girlfriend gets up at 7 he gets another 15 mins..

Then at 15:30 when she gets home he gets another hour walk around the country park down the road..when I'm on my days off we're out at least 3 to 4 hours either on the shoot or around Bolton Abby or just mooching about..so he gets good enough walks but on the odd occasion he gets left from 8am till 5pm maybe once a month..