any you tubers?

roadkill

In many youtube videos the quality of the equipment far exceeds the quality of the subject matter, direction, production and ability of the film maker. Don't get fixated on buying a top quality camera. I'd recommend making sure that it has enough memory and battery life for your needs and is able to zoom in while recording. Also, for a garden project macro facility might come in handy as would a screw in polarising filter. At the end of the day, the image quality of online viewing isn't that great so a mega pixel camera is wasted on youtube.

I would say buy the best possible equipment your budget will allow because sometime in the future you may wish to have your own website for your work.......https://www.wp101.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-never-host-your-own-videos/

If that's not likely to happen then keep it cheap for You Tube

A few links that might help you decide.....https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/youtube-upload-limits-removed.htm

http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/best-video-cameras-filming-youtube-videos

http://learnaboutfilm.com/making-a-film/equipment-for-low-budget-filmmaking/camcorder-vs-dslr-vs-mirrorless-2016/

Edited by old'un

budget is £300 , i will be filming the build up of my tropical garden from beginning to end and then keeping on top of it through the seasons

Cannon 500d or something along those lines would do you perfectly.

Shoots excellent HD, you can get a couple of different lens' (and with a £10 adaptor, you can shoot macro to stunning detail).

You'll need a tripod and a mic.

Sounds like something with a time lapse function could work well also go pro has this but the wide "superview" lens isn't ideal for all types of shots.

If you don't need it to be ruggedised there are some very good camcorder type cameras for a few hundred that will have things like external mic inputs.

Think about everything that is 'bad' on the youtube videos you have watched (and listened to!), and do your best to avoid falling into the same traps.

A few that grate with me are: Talk almost inaudible due to wind noise or other background noises, constantly picking up and putting down items, repetitive ramblings, camera pointed in the wrong place or too far away. Commentary edited in afterwards is probably better than trying to balance the speaking with the actions as you are doing them. Non of which helps with your original question sorry, but others have answered that.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Edit - Spelling

Edited by Mike737

Think about everything that is 'bad' on the youtube videos you have watched (and listened to!), and do your best to avoid falling into the same traps.

A few that grate with me are: Talk almost inaudible due to wind noise or other background noises, constantly picking up and putting down items, repetitive ramblings, camera pointed in the wrong place or too far away. Commentary edited in afterwards is probably better than trying to balance the speaking with the actions as you are doing them. Non of which helps with your original question sorry, but others have answered that.

Maybe not but you make an excellent point nonetheless. My son watches YouTube videos based on whatever if he's into the time, when he was a bit younger it was Minecraft, now he watches a lot of football and gaming ones, currently FIFA 16/17. You can so easily see why the successful YouTubers are that way, and you can equally see how bad the bad ones are. Apparently for example a lot of people will switch off a YouTube video for something as simple as it beginning with the phrase, "Hey guys" because it's become so hackneyed.

A poor script is going to ruin a good video, however good it is.

Because people tend to flit between videos and make a judgement after just a few seconds, 100% audience engagement 100% of the time is necessary for someone to watch a video all the way through I reckon.

• 1 year later...

I watch a fair bit of Youtube video's on various subjects including coarse and sea fishing, fly casting for mullet, air gun tuning, rimfire accuracy tips, ratting with Plummers (me favourite dog ever), trapping, catch and eat, hunting, pellet tests, history, politics, etc, etc, there are some extremely talented and knowledgeable  people out there many of whom deserve to replace the dross we get to read in the shooting press. 

The current subject of fascination for me is the relatively unexplored arena for air gun slugs, these are going to change our perceptions of even FAC level range in terms of achievable accuracy. 

I have often thought about doing vids to blow away shooting old wives tales but don't have the editing expertise (or money) for high end equipment OR the time. 

Edited by Hamster

keep it short and to the point. The most useful videos I have found on YouTube tend to have been shot by someone with a really cheap phone camera and no grasp of English, but with a clear idea of what they wanted to show and a combination of well thought through camera angles and hand signals or subtitles. 

this is an example of a brilliant video that was clearly very cheaply made but exceptionally well thought out. 

Edited by Wb123