Advice on chainsaw please

herby

The 560 XP is a cracking saw with amazing power , real gutsy , but get training first , like others have said, you will enjoy it and learn loads.

I have bought 4 in the last couple of years for my team and these saws have done a serious amount of graft and had no problems.

The old 357 was a great saw for firewood. I have crossed to the dark side and am using a STIHL MS260 for my fire wood and love it

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With seizing up etc my pet hate is the ' I'll start the thing and cut straight away' types.

From my Moto-x days 2stroke- its warm the thing up thoroughly first and feed it well on decent oil.

No wonder there are so many problems with the later saws which are manufactured to tighter tolerances than those beasties we had in the 80's

Bought 2 gallon of Aspen 2 today but it's going to be expencive to run it on that. Have Husqvarna oil on order to soften the blow but that is going to be re-branded cheaper oil haha

I don't know how the Aspen petrol 2 stroke can go in a 25/40/50:1 ratio without adding more oil?

How much cutting are u expecting to do??

Couple of fills a day/week/fortnight??

Not sure the size of tanks on those saws but most 60ish cc saws get about 8-10ish fills out of a combi can (gallon), 372 was abut 6-8 fills, so ur probably talking about 240+mins with a modern fuel effecient saw of flat out full revs cutting. Thats a lot of firewood

Unless ur a pro using a gallon a day or doing a massive ammount of wknd firewood any 2 stoke costs are tiny.

Even when i was using 5-6 gallon of petrol a week i always used best quality 2 stroke, if u buy it by the gallon at proper saw shops really not that dear

Any savings u think u have by using cheap 2 stroke over husky stuff or even aspen is purely in ur head, ur talking about pennies per fil in reality.

if ur saw goes bang and they do test ur carb for husky 2 stroke and its not there the few quid u think u have saved is nowt compred to a siezed saw not covered by warranty

The fuel and oil spec's are changing all of the time and there is nothing wrong in using a petroil mix but you have to use fresh fuel and use a low ash oil which is a D spec and not leaving fuel in machines. Although stihl sell the red oil there can be problems with fuel lines disintegrating, carbs getting blocked and subsequently causing size ups. The subject is too deep and complicated to explain it here but using cheaper mix oils WILL cost you. Another issue is in the use of cheap chain oil. Recently the oils have changed and chains are showing excessive pin wear and going out of bar adjustment without the cutter side being worn back by grinding or use.

You are correct in the big picture but Aspen is a lot of money though. £20 a day soon mounts up instead of £6 for normal fuel and Husky oil.

Sometimes I will use it all day for a few days others not for a couple of month but dont get paid a lot for doing it so every pound counts.

My Stihls have an additional 2 years warranty (4 in total) as long as you can prove via receipt that you have used in each year a 5l of their own premix.

It cost me 29 and I must say that it now gets used in both our saws, strimmer and leaf blower which I thought was over the top ( read expensive), but I have no problems starting any of them ( the leaf blower only gets used a few times a year).

The only other thing I would add Herby is --- keep the thing clean. Chain oil and saw dust makes for a sticky mess, plus I'm sure if you did have to return a saw under warranty then a shiny clean version opposed to a filthy one might not get the same 'is it running Husky oil' examinations

I'm sure i've read on the arb talk forum that u really should not be changing between aspen and 2 stroke as it reacts and badly corrodes the fuel lines.

Ideally u want to run a saw dry each time u use it, so if u only have a wee bit to finish the day just put a wee bit of petrol in the saw.

Must admit i do leave mines with petrol in for long periods sometimes and never really had any bother, but mibee just been kucky.

Most of my saws are covered in so much resin ur lucky to tell if its orange or white and it doesnae take them long to get like that, the bars always kept good, fiters clean etc, the things that matter not wot the plastic looks like. The exception is farmers/fencers saws where plastic is messy broke but bar/chain/filters not looked after either.

My local saw shops would probably look more closely at a pristine 'hobby' saw as the chances are they have forgot to put 2 stroke in.

Dunno wot ur doing with it but mibee u should be asking for more money? U've just spent afair wad of cash on top end saw.

Must admit the money in the woods is usually quite well paid althou hard work