First outing with the 4x4,and 15 pigeons as well

lakeside1000

Well Wednesday we took delivery of an old Mitsubishi shogun pinin, Its only a 2001 but its all we could afford on our pension.( the missus let me sell her Mini cooper to buy it )

Its been well looked after by an old couple and has only done 86,000 miles.

So today I decided to go 'off road' for the first time in my life, at least through the mud, not over dry stubble fields in my Ducato van through August and September, we have permission to use the field edges to get across the marshes to where a few good flocks of pigeons are hammering the young rape plants but only if we have a 4x4..

It was a beautiful day, blue sky and bright sunshine, just a cool north easterly blowing about 15 mph,

I got down to the marsh around 10.30, delayed due to chores not done yesterday, very bad planning, stopping at the end of the roadway I slipped her into 4 wheel drive and set off, moving slowly at first but soon getting a feel for it, the first gateway led into a very soft patch, 30 yards of 12 inch deep mud, so I slipped in the 4 wheel lock and headed into the middle of it, but I need not have been concerned, she dug in and slithered all the way through to the grass track on the other side,

Now feeling a little smug I unlocked the diffs and set off , after about a mile with only a few soft patches I drove right up to my chosen spot, unloaded almost twice the amount of gear I would normally have dragged there on my trolley and set up, I moved her up into the corner of the field and had the most enjoyable session, hardly missed a bird, at around 2.00 I had to pack up as I had other plans for the rest of the afternoon, 15 picked and only one lost .

I brought the car back to the hide and packed it all in the back, at this point last week I would be facing a one mile walk back to the car park with all my gear and the extra weight of the days haul, but with it all loaded into the back I had a great time sliding and spinning my way back to the road but did not once feel I would not make it, I must say I am so pleased with my purchase and now can look forward to many more outings without all the walking, ain't life grand.Mind you her indoors insisted I wash all the mud off it before I got any dinner, :yahoo::yahoo:

I paid £700 for a 1997 Shogun LWB, had it about 10 months now - and what a great truck it is!!

Not got stuck yet, and I have pushed my luck with the non off road tyres it wears.

Not too bad on fuel, for a 2.8 that is. LOADS of room, and I don't have to worry if I add to its battlescars either.

Drove me and Daughter to a Martial Arts Competition in Rugby, and she never missed a beat on the six hour round trip, cruise control worked fine.

I will upgrade to a newer Shogun when this one dies, I am impressed.

Good luck with yours.

Hammo

I had a Pinin for about 10 years, same age, both the Pinin and you & I. Never missed a beat and only wished they still made them and would have one tomorrow.

It did take some abuse off road but never let me down even in the stickiest of situations. More than once it drove through conditions that beat Discoverys due to its relative lightness.

Good luck with yours and enjoy it.

OB

Had isusu 3.1 long wheel Base for 7 years old but good wish I had kept hold as now got a freelander it's OK but I have not the same confidence in going through mud etc a friend had diatsu terios that would go anywhere because it was so light .hope you enjoy your 4x4 and keep on them pigeons good post.

Dont get to complasent somebody said to me 40 years ago you cant get a land rover stuck I did.

Time to 'fess up........I did it too, 25 years ago now, was using the keepers land rover to ferry the other picker-ups to the next drive. When he got to me eventually he showed me how to put it in 4 wheel drive!! :no:

Last winter I took the wife's Yeti out with the pigeon gear in the back, went down a farm track which was very boggy. When I got to the end of the track I could not turn round so I had to reverse back down the track which had a tight 90' turn in it. I nearly went off in to the field at that point. The Yeti's 4x4 system really paid for itself that day. I learned my lesson and bought a Defender pick up as I have had several Defenders in the past.. As somebody said on a different thread Defenders are Marmite vehicles you love them or hate them, I have had 5 of them and a Series 2A and a Series 3. I love them.