Linsley of Leeds Gunmaker

Arielvb

Linsleys shop ,which was in Harrogate ,is now closed .Does anyone know what now holds the company manufacturing records ?

I have gun number 2011 ,which was according to the records ,was produced in 1928 ,first gun produced in 1928 was 2009 .Would just like a little more history on my Linsley .

Can anyone help ?

Regards Gary

Some Information for you from my research. Pictures of proof marks and features of the gun will help us learn more about the gun.

We do know that Hellis supplied some guns to Linsley brothers of Leeds, but not until after the second world war.

If your gun is possible a post WW2 manufacture then you might get more information by contacting Davidingles@hellis.com

The number which hellis will use to identify the gun will be stamped into the forend loop on the barrels.

I later learned from a researcher ( terry@utterson.com ) who had spoken to Linsley brothers before they ceased trading that the records from the Harrogate linsley brothers shop were supposedly destroyed in a "fire bomb attack".. many years ago.

Its possible that Linsley brothers build guns from components bought in from the trade from the likes of vickers or BSA, but equally as likely that they were barreled actions finished to order made by webley.

As with many of these old guns their origins, who built them and bought them and such is information lost to history now.

I have a fine linsley brothers gun which we have dated to mid way through the year of 1900, making it 116 years old and still going strong. Its very clear that they ordered guns at across all quality grades and they can be quite variable in quality and design.

Hi ,not picked the gun up yet ,but do know it carries the number 2011.The first gun made in 1928 was 2009 ,so this gun could have been produced in 1927 . Wonder if Linsleys engraved the gun? The engraving is very ornate and very good quality .I presume at that time done by hand . Let me have your email and l will send you some close up shots of the action and proof marks . Can't put them on P W for some reason .

Thanks for your help .

Regards Gary

The Chap that owns Brown Trout ( Tim Brown) i think used to work for them so might be worth a try. He runs a great gunshop/fishing shop as well.

Yes Tim used to work for them a long time ago. You can get him on 01423 709741 or pop into Brown Trout on Cold Bath Road, Harrogate.

Linsley Bros used to have shops in Leeds and Harrogate that I know of but both gone now.

I'm surprised that website is still up as they haven't been there for many many years, though it's not the full website they had when they were trading.

• 2 years later...