F 1 Outcome ??

ditchman

You place the bet knowing it's not a clear cut set of rules :yes:, they don't call it the Pirahna club for nothing. It costs around £700 million a year to run a front line outfit and that kind of money comes from huge sponsorship deals from corporations that need their names associated with winning. This is why the constructors championship is so important and why they ultimately call the shots (within the constraints of human ego's.)

There have been many occasions where brain fade has led drivers taking each other out of a One-Two finish, it's even happened in main engine sponsors home race events :lol:, whatever way we look at it money talks so team orders have to exist. If they ban it it just morphs into teams using code language. Winning at F1 level is i n c r e d i b l y difficult and therefore not left to driver whim.

As I said I'm new to watching F1 but in hindsight of what I wrote, I guess anyone betting on it would know how it works and would take that into consideration.

I only really got into it as a mate had his stag do at Barcelona and the F1 day was part of it... it was a bloody boring race as it was a few years back and the two Mercs were at least 7 seconds ahead at the corner we were sat at on the first lap.. iirc it was about 17 seconds on the second lap lol damn good atmosphere though.

Edited by Deker

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said I'm new to watching F1 but in hindsight of what I wrote, I guess anyone betting on it would know how it works and would take that into consideration.

I only really got into it as a mate had his stag do at Barcelona and the F1 day was part of it... it was a bloody boring race as it was a few years back and the two Mercs were at least 7 seconds ahead at the corner we were sat at on the first lap.. iirc it was about 17 seconds on the second lap lol damn good atmosphere though.

I generally record the races and often won't watch the whole thing even then but I still consider myself well into it because I follow everything else constantly anyway so get as much enjoyment from the internal politics as the races themselves.

To be honest I can't remember the exact race and fully admit it happens more in F1 than Moto GP but team orders have there place whether we agree or disagree

You can google various instances of team orders in bike racing,

Here is the latest I can find

"Didn't this happen in the final WSBK race last year? IIRC Sykes had to win and Biaggi needed 5th? Sykes won the race and Biaggis teammate slowed down to let him pick up a spot and he ended up winning the championship by ½ a point"

Does happen, while I was checking it seems Colin Edwards helped Rossi to one of his titles

Biaggi 2012, not 2015, doh.

Jonathan Rea 2015, ok, and 2016 to keep it on track.

And according to chrisjpainter it's been 5 years since you have had a good F1 race, haa!!

:shaun:

D

As someone fairly new to watching F1 I don't get how the team orders are even legal, imagine at the beginning of the season you put a bet on Hamilton winning the championship, in the last race it's still possible but needs driver tactics, then all of a sudden the other comes and the driver has to lose, in any other sport this would be "match fixing" and would be investigated yet in F1 it's perfectly legal?

F1 is a team sport, that's very easy to miss . Football, rugby, cricket etc would not dream of not having a team strategy. The drivers are paid to race for their team, not for personal glory. Hamilton is not racing for Hamilton, he is racing for Mercedes. There is no match fixing because the match is between the constructors. The drivers championship is a side bet.

D

F1 is a team sport, that's very easy to miss . Football, rugby, cricket etc would not dream of not having a team strategy. The drivers are paid to race for their team, not for personal glory. Hamilton is not racing for Hamilton, he is racing for Mercedes. There is no match fixing because the match is between the constructors. The drivers championship is a side bet.

Interesting take. Maybe this needs to change? It is insanely boring as it is, only my opinion of course. I understand people go mental for it.

Wow, didn't see that coming at all,

Shame Ricciado is tied up,

They will probably promote one of their junior drivers now,

Of course they won't give Hamilton the rollicking he should get now as they can't afford 2 juniors

Fair play to what Rosberg said, "it was my dream to win the title, I have now done that"

Wants his family time back

Enjoy your retirement Nico....

You need to be highly motivated to risk your life week in week out ... he's achieved his goal ... if he can't find the motivation anymore I can understand it ..

He's a wealthy young man, and can now drink champagne and be with as many girls as his tongue can cope with !!

There was a thread on here some months ago about retirement ... most folks said do it as soon as you can ... he has.

Not sure if it's feasible .... but putting Verstappen in the team would make things mighty interesting !!

He's a wealthy young man, and can now drink champagne and be with as many girls as his tongue can cope with !!

Not sure if it's feasible .... but putting Verstappen in the team would make things mighty interesting !!

Newly married with a young baby so that part is sorted

Verstappen has been tied up in a long contract with Red Bull

I had a funny feeling something like this was in the air. Rosberg's reaction post race at the weekend, the press comments in the week after it, I just felt there was something other than the end of season championship stuff. I just got the feeling that for him, once would always be enough for him.

Good luck to him. Anyone who can get up Hamilton's nose so consistently for so many years gets my vote! The only two team mates to outscore hamilton retire after the same race. Funny old world

Rosberg got lucky this year. He knows unlikely to repeat it so decided to get out while on top. Personally I think that attitude shows why he is a single champion and not a multiple one. Just not hungry enough. But he's won more than me so fair play to him.

"Hamilton isn't that good a driver, any of the top six or seven drivers would do as well as he has done if they were in that car."

Absolute rubbish. He is the best driver in F1 now and has been for a while irrespective of the car.

No other driver has won at least 1 race in every season they have competed in.

Until this season he finished ahead of his teammate every season.

More F1 victories than any other British driver, 2nd only to Michael Schumacher in all time victory list.

He may not be everyone's favourite personality but to say he isn't a very good driver couldn't be further from the truth

Rosberg got lucky this year. He knows unlikely to repeat it so decided to get out while on top. Personally I think that attitude shows why he is a single champion and not a multiple one. Just not hungry enough. But he's won more than me so fair play to him.

If you can call 9 wins (just 1 less than Lewis) and more podiums than anyone else AND keeping cool with Hamilton's tactics lucky then yes you have a point. If you follow F1 to any degree you will have read and heard every single inner pundit describe Nico as a worthy winner, Hamilton made poor starts in too many races which cost him as many points as an outright win.

F1 works on points and cars break down for everyone, Lewis has benefited in the past. Nico will go down as the man who beat one of the very best in the world in any era to earn his title. All of Schumacher's titles were won with hand picked losers, I am a big Alonso fan and even he won both titles not having to worry about the second car.

Edited by Hamster

"Hamilton isn't that good a driver, any of the top six or seven drivers would do as well as he has done if they were in that car."

Absolute rubbish. He is the best driver in F1 now and has been for a while irrespective of the car.

More F1 victories than any other British driver, 2nd only to Michael Schumacher in all time victory list.

He may not be everyone's favourite personality but to say he isn't a very good driver couldn't be further from the truth

As said Button beat him in 2011 and as I said elsewhere over the 3 years Button and Hamilton raced together Button scored more points overall,

It's easy to be called a great when your in the best car and only have your team mate to beat, would love to see Hamilton in an average car, oh wait.....we did in his last year at McLaren.......

Didn't do too well there did he?

He is a VERY good driver but no better than Vettel/Alonso/Ricciardo/Raikonnen........Rosberg is also a very good driver,given time even Verstappen,

Even Schumachers team mates weren't allowed to race him which negates his "Greatness"

Rosberg set out to win the F1 title and has done so, with great dignity I believe, never once blaming his mechanics or breakdowns for losing

I can't ever see Hamilton retiring when he eventually does with the same dignity, all you are getting off him at the moment is "wait till the book comes out to see what really happened"

While I'm on my soapbox..... Hamilton berated Rosberg for claiming he was German when he wasn't born there and how he had it all handed to him on a plate because of his dad, while telling everyone how hard he had it because his dad had to do 2 jobs to enable him to go racing,

I know people who do 2 jobs just to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.....

Not quite correct in my mind, I've always been a Button fan, silky smooth driving style (one movement corners) not sawing at the wheel,

In my mind Hamilton is the best racer out there, soon to be challenged, but he is not the best driver. There are better drivers out there, but being a better driver does not mean you win races. You need the machinery around you to do that, and he's had that for the last couple of years. Can't stand his attitude, he's either smarmily nice if he's won, or the world's against him if he's lost (growing up to be done there) As I say If there is a place to make up he'll probably make it being risky or not, that makes him a good racer not driver.

Edited by tonker

Not quite correct in my mind, I've always been a Button fan, silky smooth driving style (one movement corners) not sawing at the wheel,

In my mind Hamilton is the best racer out there, soon to be challenged, but he is not the best driver. There are better drivers out there, but being a better driver does not mean you win races. You need the machinery around you to do that, and he's had that for the last couple of years. Can't stand his attitude, he's either smarmily nice if he's won, or the world's against him if he's lost (growing up to be done there) As I say If there is a place to make up he'll probably make it being risky or not, that makes him a good racer not driver.

The clue is in the name - racing driver. I have no idea what you mean by a good driver compared to a good racer. The fact is that Hamilton and been far, far more successful than Button and therefore makes him a better racing driver.

Anybody remember the F1 star in a reasonably fast car on Top Gear. This is the nearest you will get to comparable cars and Hamilton was faster than all the others.

Nico knew he would never have the same luck again to beat Hamilton, he only won due to Lewis having more reliability issues. He complained about Lewis backing him up in the last race, Lewis would of just driven around him. I wish Nico all the best but I for one won't miss him, neither will the thousands of people who booed him while he was on the podium

Anybody remember the F1 star in a reasonably fast car on Top Gear. This is the nearest you will get to comparable cars and Hamilton was faster than all the others.

Sorry but you're wrong, by half a second

Daniel Riciardo, 1m42.2s.

Lewis Hamilton, 1m42.9s.

Mark Webber, 1m43.1s.

Sebastian Vettel, 1m44.0s.

Rubens Barrichello, 1m44.3s.

The Stig (white), 1m44.4s.

Nigel Mansell, 1m44.6s.

Lewis Hamilton (damp, oily), 1m44.7s.

Stick Ricciardo in the Merc