what are you doing for christmas

islandgun

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After losing my wife this year ,not looking forward to Christmas but ,I am going to the I o w for the for Christmas week in a quiet holiday cottage with my daughter and soninlaw ,no guests , wishing all p w members a good Christmas and new year , hope it goes well scully

Thank you, and the same to you.

We take turns in hosting the Christmas and New Year dinners with some friends. Its our year off this time as we hosted last New Year's dinner. Some of the friends go off to Spain for a couple of months in early January so it is nice to be able to see them before they go and receive instructions about what to do while they are away. We end up checking their houses, paying any bills that fall due on their behalf, relaying mail, putting the occasional fire in if the weather drops cold and looking after a lake while they are all away sunning themselves.

Can't beat it, hands down my favourite time of year.

I love Christmas.

This year will be the first time in 5 or 6 years I've not been staying with the in-laws. I'm looking forward to hosting, but I will miss just putting my feet up and being fed and watered for a few days.

In between church services, there will be wall to wall booze and nibbles, punctuated by country walks (the definition of which is likely to extend to just popping down to the end of the garden for some more logs :lol: )

For the main event I'm doing celery soup, followed by goose and hot gammon ham, followed by Christmas pudding, followed by cheeses, quinces and dates. I shall endeavour to consume more Brussels sprouts than the Vicar of Dibley! I absolutely cannot wait :yes:

:good:

LS

...........followed by cheeses, quinces and dates................

How are you eating the quinces, Duncan?

The ones we have growing in the garden are inedible raw, but very palatable when added to an apple pie.

I also made some quince chutney this year that is maturing (festering?) for Christmas tea-time

Bored stupid stuck inside with the outlaws on the day, none of the missus' family drink :no:

However, Boxing Day i will be slinking off to the allotment greenhouse to sow my onion seeds, burn all the present packaging, come home stinking of bonfire and get some much needed fresh air and solitude for a few hours :good:

As usual, a houseload, me cooking, everyone will wreck the joint then just vanish like ghosts leaving me two days of cleaning.

I love the Christmas period, grown to hate Christmas Day because of the above.

Too many stakeholders, wanting this, that, vegetarian, insisting crackers and hats are worn, me falling out about forced jollity, insistence that the 6 kids eat with us, screaming, food being thrown then me leaving the table to sit with them watching a film.

Then I eat later.

Either side of Christmas Day I'm as festive and happy as a happy thing, love it.

Edited by kyska

Christmas is passing me by this year since I've been out of work since getting being hit on the A12 I at the end of June,

Did go back for 3 weeks of September but couldn't hack it for fear of being hit again and killed

DSS have told me this week that I don't even qualify for Job Seekers Allowance, Not because I left the job but because I haven't paid sufficient Class 1 contributions ???

Still, My lot is nowhere near as bad as some other people's on here and in life.

Whatever you're doing, whoever you're with - treasure it :)

After losing my wife this year ,not looking forward to Christmas but ,I am going to the I o w for the for Christmas week in a quiet holiday cottage with my daughter and soninlaw ,no guests , wishing all p w members a good Christmas and new year , hope it goes well scully

I hope you have as good a time as possible. I can't and don't want to imagine a Christmas without my wife.

Christmas is passing me by this year since I've been out of work since getting being hit on the A12 I at the end of June,

Did go back for 3 weeks of September but couldn't hack it for fear of being hit again and killed

DSS have told me this week that I don't even qualify for Job Seekers Allowance, Not because I left the job but because I haven't paid sufficient Class 1 contributions ???

Still, My lot is nowhere near as bad as some other people's on here and in life.

So sorry to hear of your predicament. Keep your head up,shoulders back and best for forward.

Try claiming the social that's what it is there for to act as a safety net. Don't dispair and look for better times. Take the positives out of what you have and all the best to you.

Sorry to hear that TD. I sincerely hope things vastly improve for you in the new year.

Why cant you do both? I've got off before light to get out for the morning fligt and then home, get changed clothes and gun and go off all day on the pheasant, after shoot dinner and in the pub in the evening. back home and clean the guns.

Not enough time to get back home , get changed and to the shoot without a hell of a rush.

Edited by anser2

For the first time in 52 years our family will be split. There will still be 8 of us but due to my brother forcing a family split over what seems to be old deep seated sibling rivalry he will be with his wife and 3 kids.

I'm still not sure what has brought it out now other than we have said that we can't afford to go to my niece's wedding next easter in Italy and also said that we don't think my mother is well enough to travel.