WARNING to all new ford transit owners

crossy 666

Hi, I live near Tamworth/burton area and there is some scum bags that have worked out how to get into the new new shape fords transits. They will not put a mark on your van but are emptying them of mostly power tools. As they are not damaging the van in any way insurance companies are refusing to pay out and telling people they must have left them open.

It's a well known fault that I guess ford have failed to fix, I have cctv footage somewhere of a scroat opening the back doors of a friends transit in a few seconds without triggering the alarm with a common household tool and emptying it. Add to the fact they can buy a cheap tracker on ebay for a few quid and stick it to your van wherever they see you opening the doors at work and unless you fit a decent secondary lock to the back doors your proper ****. There have been a spate of classic car thefts this year where the thieves tour shows and pop a tracker under a car they want they pop round a few days later and steal it from your garage

It's a well known fault that I guess ford have failed to fix, I have cctv footage somewhere of a scroat opening the back doors of a friends transit in a few seconds without triggering the alarm with a common household tool and emptying it. Add to the fact they can buy a cheap tracker on ebay for a few quid and stick it to your van wherever they see you opening the doors at work and unless you fit a decent secondary lock to the back doors your proper ****. There have been a spate of classic car thefts this year where the thieves tour shows and pop a tracker under a car they want they pop round a few days later and steal it from your garage

It would seem to me that the solution to the back door is to put a secondary lock on the door the problem with this could be I think that lots of people are leasing vans so I do not now if they would let you do that.

As for the steeling old classic cars the problem is it is just so simple to jump start old classic cars that are pre computers the only way is to remove engine parts and or have some kind of physical locking device.

Ford locks can be opened in seconds by an automated Tibbe lock pick / decoder it needs no skill just the thief to buy it off the internet.

They open the drivers door first then pick decoder is set to open the rest of the doors just like having the key.

Nothing you can do to stop this type of attack but fit secondary locks or change out the standard ford ones.

Edited by timps

We are having new transits for work vehicles and some have already been done over. Memo came out and now all new transit vans have deadlocks fitted before delivery. It's a shame as it really shouldn't be happening at all. We carry a lot of tools that are our own so emptying the van at night is a no go, however the company has said they will replace all stolen tools and equipment as a result and we have to photo and document everything.

it effects all transit models and now there is a similar product for T5s as well. Garrison locks do replacement door cylinders and extra locks. Mate is a roofer, they opened his transit and took his Paslode 1st fix. Much head scratching as to where he had left it and no sign of forced entry. He bought another one ( not cheap ) and the scum returned and emptied his van. A daily occurrence, thousands of pounds of tools being stolen. Any van manufacturer who produces an off the line van with good security will corner the market. That said I've seen vans opened up like cans with doors or roofs peeled off.

there are a few groups on Facebook relating to van break ins. Its endemic but not news worthy. Police advise taking any tools out at night but it's common for them to be done in day light.

van dealer I got mine from advised a set of slam locks and replacement cylinder. Drivers door lock cost £90 and took 20 mins to fit. Poor design that opening the drivers door also opens the load area.

Just some links, the trouble with ford vans including the connect is the drivers door key disables the alarm. They can also easily bypass the immobiliser once in as well. I know a few that have been done with one lad that had gone to the trouble of fitting an armour plate gaurd but kept the standard lock.

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/aylesbury-builder-s-anger-at-thieves-using-20-fob-to-break-into-his-van-1-7170006

http://iwradio.co.uk/2016/02/18/ford-responds-following-isle-of-wight-van-tool-thefts/

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2016-04-25/police-warn-thieves-may-have-found-way-to-bypass-locks-on-ford-transits/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/engineers-warning-after-mysterious-van-7874927.amp?client=safari

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTMveHH_AM

Cheers that will be my parting gift to the fleet manager who has just ordered them .....

I have a new tranny, i don't use it for work so this will probably work in my favour - no damage to doors to access an empty van although it could still just disappear! These people are scum! I'm a brickie so losing my tools wouldn't be the end of the world but for chippies/plumbers etc its a nightmare!! my mate has been done, all his carpentry tools gone, runs well in to the thousands...

Ford should do something with this one

I can 100% tell you they are not damaging the van in any way. I'm in the trade and know how there doing it. Fords response is to tell people to make sure they double lock there vans but this will not work trust me. The scum doing around my way did 15 in one night.

At least 4-5 vans a week in Tamworth.

Rick from Solware has had 2 attempts in a week at stealing his motorbike from the leyfields dude :/ but his dog disturbed them both times.

All transit upto the new shape and custom are fitted with a tibbe lock that's getting attacked easily. Opens in seconds.

Fit deadlocks best way.

New transits are still vunrable to a slightly different attack but it's not widespread at the moment so don't see many getting done. Yet! Again fit professional deadlocks.

Disable the obd to guys, no point locking your van up well for them to just drive it away and deal with the locks later!!

I can have a transit open and started in 3/4 mins without a key.

If you keep tools in them then spend some money on good locks / alarm / pager / tracker

Ive been done twice. Lost £1200 of tools the first time and £6500 the second.

No signs of forced entry. The first time i was hit, even though I was sure I locked the van I came to the conclusion that i must have left it open. Ever since then ive locked, deadlocked and alarmed the van.

The second time was about a year later. Definately locked the van but they emptied it. Petrol saw, chop saw, laser, tripod, drills, impact wrench, the whole lot gone.

It was only after the 2nd hit I was told about the Ford tibbe key. I now empty my van of tools every night without fail