Eric Bristow

jonno 357

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportsmen and sportswomen are great when they stick to their sport. Sadly, they seem to think they have some great wisdom to offer the World - think Eric Bristow, Tyson Fury, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Gary Lineker etc.

They should try to emulate David Beckham - keeps his mouth shut, because he just sounds gormless when he opens it.

Having met the chap on more than one occasion I found him.

Pleasant to be with, polite and funny. And not worried about spending time with you.

Very different from my first impression from his TV appearance.

It would help as to why the op has this opinion of him.

Edited by Dougy

No doubt half the population would quite like abusers to suffer some harm and I'm sure if it was my son who had been abused I would have considered retribution but you do not make those thoughts public. My disabled son has been bullied by neighbours and when I overheard this occurring my thoughts for a few moments were not pleasant. We involved the police and it stopped.

No doubt his recent, rather stupid, tasteless utterances in the press.

That's why I didn't know then, I find the news rather depressing to say the least.

I doubt very much the Eric Bristow would actually condone the actions by the perpetrator. Yes he was out of order for his comments, I think he regrets what he said, and unfortunately he cannot take them back.

But I bet what he will do is to (as he has already stated) donate a fair amount of money to try and make up for his comments.

As Gordon and others have said - throwing a good arrow or kicking a ball well doesn't qualify you as an expert in anything other than.... err.. throwing darts / kicking footballs.

He was attempting damage limitation this morning on ITV.

Well, it went about as well as I thought it would. Utter car crash.

I was an Eric Bristow fan and am really disappointed in the way he has let himself, amongst others, down. It is not nice to see heroes humbled, but he is just an idiot. He can waffle on about how he didn't really mean it, but you can't put it back in the box.

For the sake of a cheap remark - I trust he was only paid peanuts - he will lose a lot of future earnings and public standing.

The comments that he made were crass, ignorant and insensitive at best, but I find it sinister how we are now taking to silencing every opinion that doesn't fit.

Should the guy have lost his job as a darts pundit for making those comments? I actually think no he shouldn't.

There is a real insideous creep towards censorship and we are allowing those who purport to pursue a liberal agenda control what is allowed to be said; the campaign against advertisers in the Daily Mail, the clamour for anybody who says something out of turn to be sacked, it worries me greatly.

I firmly believe that the more we try to hide away unpalatable opinion the more that we encourage real ignorance to develop.

Thr best way to challene ignorance is through open and candid debate.

His comments reflect the opinion of many, his overtly macho posture is typical of so many. Better to understand that those opinions exist and try to educate than just to hide in the darkness and allow them to fester.

Edited by grrclark

The comments that he made were crass, ignorant and insensitive at best, but I find it sinister how we are now taking to silencing every opinion that doesn't fit.

Should the guy have lost his job as a darts pundit for making those comments? I actually think no he shouldn't.

There is a real insideous creep towards censorship and we are allowing those who purport to pursue a liberal agenda control what is allowed to be said; the campaign against advertisers in the Daily Mail, the clamour for anybody who says something out of turn to be sacked, it worries me greatly.

I firmly believe that the more we try to hide away unpalatable opinion the more that we encourage real ignorance to develop.

His comments reflect the opinion of many, his overtly macho posture is typical of so many. Better to understand that those opinions exist and try to educate than just to hide in the darkness and allow them to fester.

Well said.

grrclark - Eric Bristow has not been silenced. He is eager to talk - retracting what he said. He was free to make his opinion known - even though he must have realised that there would be consequences - and Sky, plus Newcastle United are free to dispense with his services.

That isn't censorship.

Eric is free to pop round, see me and we can have a debate about his ignorance.

It's not censorship. He said what he wanted. Nobody stopped him.

Now he is being 'educated'. And the first part of the lesson is that with freedom of speech comes the associated responsibility of saying something sensible. Otherwise there will most likely be a price to pay for talking *****