Game loads... GB, Eley, Hull...??

It's re stocking time and I'm just wondering what the general consensus is for a good pheasant cartridge.

I have been using my Gamebore Clear pigeon 32g 6, but I'm wanting to now try out and use a cartridge designed specially for pheasant.

I've done some research on GB black gold, Eley VIP and Hull High pheasant.

What would your recommendations be? I'm wanting either 32g 6 or 5.

I see that the Eley and Hull are 67mm cartridges.. I don't suppose that makes a blind bit of difference mind.

Cheers chaps. Any other carts worth looking at?

Atb,

Dave :good:

Stick with clear pigeon.

I don't see the fascination with these hyped up pheasant loads in mega weights!

I've used 29 grams of 6's for the last 3 seasons and noticed no difference from when I wasted my cash on black gold.

It's all marketing.

Edited by lksopener

I have been using Gamebore Dark Storm in 32g 5 shot and can't fault them,smooth and bring them big cocks down. Mates swear by Hull High Pheasant and the High Pheasant Extreme version too. i also bought a slab of NSI Sipe 32G 5 shot hit hard at both ends in a sxs with wooden butt. Any of the manufacturers bigger payloads in 5 will do the job.Proper carts 32g 5.5 shot have taken some high birds on our shoot as two of the members use them.

Edited by figgy

Haven't shot the pheasant sized (?) ones, only the 7s (fortunately, I bought a good few as I don't think they still do them), but I do like the Imperial and High Pheasant. In all my guns the former do shoot a tad open which is handy if you're not talking very high birds. With Hull, it's worth looking at the pellet count if you're not quite sure what size shot to go for.

Edited by wymberley

I've been using Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 32g 5's and love them.

They are nickel coated shot, very fast, high brass and really do the business. Up there with Black Gold if you ask me and a lot cheaper - I think I paid about £70 a slab. They are a bit more from Just Cartridges but still worth it.

Cheers for that I'll have a look! Sound good :good:

Cheers for the replies guys! :good: any reviews on Eley VIP?

Eley VIP are good too but black cartridges again and not so cheap.

Seem hard hitting though.

Another one I've been using all year on pigeons and crows is the red cased Fiocchi PL32 in a 5.

They are about the same price as other companies pigeon loads but with more knock down power.

Most of their cartridges are 65/67mm so great for older guns too.

You might also find that 4 can fit in your 3 shot semi... My Maxus has this problem lol

Might you want to try some high quality 36g #4 ?

It's a fine cartridge.

Funnily enough, I've one box (25) of Eley VIP Game extreme which are 36gram 4... I've had them literally years and have always wanted to save them for something special!!

However, I was debating taking them on Saturday to see what they're like.

Cheers all:good:

Might you want to try some high quality 36g #4 ?

It's a fine cartridge.

Funnily enough, I've one box (25) of Eley VIP Game extreme which are 36gram 4... I've had them literally years and have always wanted to save them for something special!!

However, I was debating taking them on Saturday to see what they're like.

Cheers all:good: