Game loads... GB, Eley, Hull...??

Hull HPE in 5's :D

It's impossible to criticise Hull - not that I'd want to anyway as I really like their Sovereign and High Pheasant loads - because they advertise exactly what they're selling, but it's worth noting that as they load in metric dimensions, their shot sizes aren't as we - although this might apply more to the somewhat older shooters - know them. Consequently and although it doesn't make too much difference in the field, it is possible to understand why their high pheasant/ longer range cartridges are considered hard hitting. In English, their 5s are actually 4&1/2s, 4s are 3s and 3s are what would be 1&1/2s.

Edited by wymberley

I am not a cartridge snob and just shoot anything but I was never a fan of Hull stuff after using 20b cartridges on decoyed pigeon. The load went bang and the targets were hit heavily but we had a fair amount of walkers. I remember one that had taken a pellet that appeared to have gone right through its head which was wandering around in the decoys that had to be picked up and dispached. I marked the bird and When it was plucked it was found to have sustained several body hits which should have been able to have killed the bird outright. They just didn't seem to kill cleanly. At the same time both of us were shooting a mix of muddled up brand's of cartridges that we had our bags so it wasn't as if we were favouring one brand over another. some of the best were Rottweil club 20 and smi standard, fiocci vip's

It's impossible to criticise Hull - not that I'd want to anyway as I really like their Sovereign and High Pheasant loads - because they advertise exactly what they're selling, but it's worth noting that as they load in metric dimensions, their shot sizes aren't as we - although this might apply more to the somewhat older shooters - know them. Consequently and although it doesn't make too much difference in the field, it is possible to understand why their high pheasant/ longer range cartridges are considered hard hitting. In English, their 5s are actually 4&1/2s, 4s are 3s and 3s are what would be 1&1/2s.

I think the normal High Pheasant are English sizes and the Extreme ones are continental and a half size bigger.

Why they have to put "Extreme 6" on them I don't know, what's wrong with 5.5??? lol

They would probably sell more by stating the true size on the boxes.

I think so too.

I know it's partly tradition but why doesn't one of the manufacturers just do a full range and mark them accordingly.

It wouldn't be so bad if they all had the size in millimetres next to the shot size so you could use that too.

Some do, some don't, and you never know if they are English, US, Italian, European sizes???

Is Italian size European or what? They all say different things on boxes and websites.

I think the normal High Pheasant are English sizes and the Extreme ones are continental and a half size bigger.

Why they have to put "Extreme 6" on them I don't know, what's wrong with 5.5??? lol

As said, it doesn't make much difference in the field and the discrepancies in the smaller sizes are less noticeable. Their own figures suggest that the 6s are closer to 5&1/2s. Apparently though, the size of the Extreme pellets are "Top Secret". :/ I use the Sovereign and High Pheasant in 7s and as these are marginally (being a tad pedantic here) undersize but the shot, particularly in the former, is good quality and consistent, the extra pellets help fill the pattern.

Re the packaging, there's comments about this in one of the 'pinned' topics above.

Find a cartridge and stick to it.

Over the last 15 years I have mainly used Hull High Pheasant then switched to Eley GP High Pheasant, then when they got phased out to Eley VIP High pheasant.

On average birds 28gr loads will do all you need but if 50 yarders are on offer on a regular basis then 30gr or 32gr of 5s through an OU will do the trick well. Frankly it does not matter much what name is on the case. Personally only being an average shot I find I have far less runners with 30gr of 5s than with smaller pellets.

A