squirrel's

kody

I had one foraging at 4.15pm under my high seat this evening. I have found that most will emerge about 20 to 30 mins after daybreak. If I know I have an interloper in my squirrel free zone, I set up an ambush by being in a blind before first twilight. Might have to sit 45 mins but seldom failed to get a result. I have never tried bating a special place for shooting with an air rifle but have a couple of woods where I am about to set this up. Again, the plan would be to be there before dawn. Like all of us , they wake up hungry.

Will try baiting them to

What's the best bait to use and don't say nuts haa

Its in a wood where there must be 70 to 80 dreys

And hell of a rooster for woodies

They will eat other grains but Peanuts are favourite......... have a look at Youtube for "Squirrel Hunter" for ideas.

Edited by Stonepark

Ive started using cage traps and have had ten greys in two weeks.. But as above, if you want to shoot then just before dark and early morning

I have seven cage traps set in my ten acre wood and I cut the wire in the back corner and purchased some cheap wire tube peanut feeders, fed a piece of 1 1/2 inch wood down inside and tapped them square, then pushed these into the gap in the corner and wire securely. The small song birds and woodpeckers can come and feed, if a squirrel tries to access via the trap he's done for. The 410 then comes into use :-)

Also handy to put a strong top on the feeder tube as maggies, jays, pheasants and jackdaws soon work out where there is a free meal.

My wood is now a squirrel free zone and any that come in either get shot or caught within 48hrs. Song birds numbers have exploded.

I am having to make a second frame around the traps to prevent pheasants getting caught and thieving the nuts. Occasionally gets sprung by a woodpecker, but traps get checked three times daily, so easily released unharmed.

Walker the woodland area I cover is just like yours, 10 years ago the songbird population wasn't all that good, but the squirrel and corvids were thriving. Now all these years later its the other way around!! For me I find the crunchy peanut butter the best bait,never failed me yet!! About an hour after first light seems to be when they are most active for feeding, this time of year also is good to get out and blast there dreys away as there being no leaves on the trees they can be seen easily.

Edited by eastdevon

Walker the woodland area I cover is just like yours, 10 years ago the songbird population wasn't all that good, but the squirrel and corvids were thriving. Now all these years later its the other way around!! For me I find the crunchy peanut butter the best bait,never failed me yet!! About an hour after first light seems to be when they are most active for feeding, this time of year also is good to get out and blast there dreys away as there being no leaves on the trees they can be seen easily.

Just make sure you don't have red squirrels when you blast away at dreys, we always have to get a positive ID before shooting any around here, because of Reds.