Log splitting

TaxiDriver

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Go to doctors get a sick note and claim sick pay

thanks,

But really not my style, That's why I went back after 3 months off with the injuries, but cold reality was I just couldn't hack it

Regarding the video posted by la Bala,

What's the purpose of the tumbler ?

Edited by TaxiDriver

If you are likely to have a further supply then go invest in one of the better electric log splitters. Use chain saw to cut them about 6 inches in length and one of those electric jobs will split them no problem. The 24 inch diameter ones you can cut in half with the chain saw to make them more handy to lift onto the splitter. Just don't cut the slabs to thick.

Question from an idiot here, who's been given a lot of logs by a farmer, they're anything from 6 inches to 24 inches in diameter, I was going to use the chainsaw to cut them every step of the way, down to firewood, rather than splitting them, is this the idea of a lazy idiot and should I find my log splitter and man up?

Moose man treat urself to a Fiskars it would split most of those no probelm.

Even the big rings depending on the timber but ur often quicker to just pick away round the edge with the axe than cutting them with the saw esp if rings are not too thick

Moose man who felled the trees? That is 1 very big gubb cut i can see in 1 off the butts.

I recently "invested" in a foot powered log splitter.

It was returned with less than one hour's use, notably the supplier didn't quibble and even paid the return postage!

It would have struggled to split a rotten 4" fence post and was dangerous to the user for anything larger.

Lesson: you get what you pay for.

Scotslad,

Thanks, I'd thought about some aspects of that,

Wasn't really thinking of going into tree felling as to Old, Fat, heavy for climbing trees, and don't like heights lol.

As someone else said, I guess most people buy their logs pre split, SO, all in all, Another non starter.

Thanks for the input folks.

Neil,sorry mate but i did have a giggle at the thought of you being a tree surgeon :lol: as i remember you being a bear of a man :ninja:

Have you considered stump grinding or being a gardener,mate set up doing this and is swamped with work every year.

Good luck finding something mate :good:

Neil,sorry mate but i did have a giggle at the thought of you being a tree surgeon :lol: as i remember you being a bear of a man :ninja:

Have you considered stump grinding or being a gardener,mate set up doing this and is swamped with work every year.

Good luck finding something mate :good:

Cheeky ****** !!!

Is that why he had to walk so far looking for rare Suffolk Pigeons then :P

I'll have. You know I'm a rather svelte 19 (cough) stone.

I'm not sure what goes for stump grinding in Suffolk :)

You could split that by hand in a couple of hours

See you tomorrow , I'll get the beer and pies in ....oh could you pick up Me Matt up on your way , between the two of you it's about an hour , bring a rifle and we can get an afternoon in the high seats ...👍🏻👍🏻

scotslad , the wind felled them , one a couple of years ago the other last year , I cut them up , loaded them , then unloaded them , thankfully there's a couple of lads coming down tomorrow with axes to split em ..I've already done most of the ash but the oak is a whole new ball game ..The two butts and a couple of big limbs are ear marked for a mate of mine for a project next year , they seemed to good to just cut up for firewood ...

You ought to see how they go on out here in rural France. Most farmers have huge hydraulic log splitters mounted on the back of tractors. They can dismantle a large fallen oak into a pile of firewood in a couple of hours. The guy who is employed by the village to do routine maintenance took down a 20 metre high weeping willow in our neighbour's garden. He arrived, leaned the tractor bucket against the tree, cut it down, dismembered it and had the trunk and main boughs stacked ready for collection. He was only in the garden for about 30 minutes.

Honestly aren't there any teenage lads in your neighbourhood that want to earn a few £

Advertisement in local shop or a beater of the shoot should get some help

It's called working with the community

Just stand back and look at the big picture

Sorry op best of luck with your new venture whatsoever you go for

All the best

Of

Honestly aren't there any teenage lads in your neighbourhood that want to earn a few £

A few years ago, while my daughter was still at school, I let it be known that I wanted some fences painted for slightly less then the legal minimum but cash in hand.

Tempting, you'd have thought for active teenagers.

Takers, none.

A few years ago, while my daughter was still at school, I let it be known that I wanted some fences painted for slightly less then the legal minimum but cash in hand.

Takers, none.

Shame you can't find any one

Maybe there parents are able too give them so much that they can't learn the true values of money ☹️️

At leat you tried 😊

All the best

Of

Advertisement in local shop or a beater of the shoot should get some help

It's called working with the community

Just stand back and look at the big picture

Sorry op best of luck with your new venture whatsoever you go for

All the best

Of

Takers, none.

I have tried to get this too and even extended it to older generation when the first failed for variuos manuel jobs. Not paying minimum wage but waaaaay above with the same result and been trying for a while. The trouble is they get paid to stay on at school now and if they have left and with out a job they get paid to stay at home.