Maize stubble

mrpip

Had a cracking day on Sunday shot a Maize stubble combined last Tuesday. Set up on a hedgerow just off the side of a 4 Acre wood. No wind at all and had the low sun in my eyes all day, never any cloud when want it. I have shot this area for years and knew this would be the main flightline in as the pigeon tend to flight into the wood. Set up with the whirly and 8 pigeon carcasses that had been breasted directly in front of the hide for 9 o'clock, very little movement for the first half hour then I shot an half interested one, the shot set a flock from some woodland in the distance and the air was blue with them. I have shot for 40 years and never seen this amount in the area it must have been 5000 plus they wheeled around and large groups started to flight over to me. At first they would not decoy but came close enough for me to have some cracking shots at high birds, every shot seemed to lift more from the wood. About 12ish they started to decoy and the bag started to build. I stopped pegging birds out when I had 30 in the pattern as it was getting a bit congested and they started swinging wide. By 2 o'clock it went dead, I could see pigeon fighting to another field of stubble in the distance, packed up and walked the wood out with my dog picked up 105 and 5 ferals, I don't usually bother with ferals only on drilling but had a bunch of about 100 plague me they were stopping the woodies decoying at times swooping over the whirly.

post-13005-0-92605900-1481120589_thumb.jpg