Eyes wide open

cueball

I have all my life shot with my left eye either shut or squinting when I mount the gun. Today I tried (miserably) to keep both eyes open. However when I do this if I focus on the clay I see two barrels, which is extremely off putting. Is this the same for other shooters or am I just plain odd?

I just see two barrels like you or just the side of the barrels.

Tried a few things over the years. Closing left eye just before pulling the trigger, squinting the left eye, a patch/ dot on my glasses which worked well and last week tried an easy hit bead type thing.

I shot like a demon last week with the easy hit. Don't know if I was just in the groove or whether it actually helped. I will give it a go over the next few months.

I have all my life shot with my left eye either shut or squinting when I mount the gun. Today I tried (miserably) to keep both eyes open. However when I do this if I focus on the clay I see two barrels, which is extremely off putting. Is this the same for other shooters or am I just plain odd?

Go back to plan 'A' then ???

When I started on the clays I was going with both eyes open and getting scores of around the 28/50, one club member said to me he shoots one eye open and said I should try myself, on first time trying scores went upto 36/50. Have since been practicing with one eye as I mount the gun and for last few months my scores haven't been below 40/50! Everyone has THERE own way but for me one eye works better!

I know it can work closing one eye but I am trying to practice so I have greater peripheral vision for game purposes. Think I will practice dry mounting with my eyes open for the next month and see how it goes. Just wondered how others viewed the gun with both eyes open

Book yourself a Couple of lessons, that will probably be best way to progress, where in the world are you?

You SHOULD see two barrels with two eyes, it isn't a cross dominance issue your eyes can only focus at one distance (near or far). If you are focussed on the clay as you should be then there will be a barrel and a "ghost" barrel in your peripheral vision.

I'll see if I can convince Ed Lyons to explain in more detail...

I see two barrels,

Ones a Browning the others a Kreighoff......

Sorry, I'll get me coat

But more seriously, Ed's right........try pointing at the top corner of your room with both eyes open, you will see 2 fingers,

Now me, if I close my left eye the finger is pointing way to the left, If I close my right eye the finger stays pointing where it's aimed, (I have a left master eye)

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense but it does to me

:shaun:

Vision takes place in the brain and whilst the brain is very good at reprogramming itself it needs some training. Carry on practicing with both eyes fully open and there's good chance that after a couple of hundred shots your brain will adapt to seeing 2 barrels and will have learned to ignore the 'wrong' one. Even if you have cross dominance it's perfectly possible for this to happen. I seem to remember Ed S once posted on ShootClay that he is cross dominant but keeps both eyes open.

About 10 years ago I switched from a Miroku with 2 beads to a Beretta with a single bead. Altough I was in no way concious of the beads when shooting and didn't knowingly see them, I must have been aware of them unconciously because for a while, my eyes kept being drawn away from the clay to the rib on straight shots. But after a couple of outings it all went away.

Whilst many people do close or wink an eye, it's almost always better to use both if you can. Nature endowed us with 2 eyes for a reason.