Dawn flight/decoy

ShropshireSam

Not been on the pigeons since September stubbles ... too busy and not many about. Had a call from one permission that high numbers on a thin patch of his rape at 8:30 in the morning. Had a look at lunchtime and no pigeons in sight, but had a walk round and found an oak tree in one corner with plenty of pigeon **** under it and and a small overgrown pit hole under the tree I could use as a natural hide. Went back this morning at daybreak with a light kit. Woke up to heavy rain so stayed in doors another half hour, then only a light shower and a steady breeze. Set up 10 half-shells and made a crude hide around the pit hole with some brash wood from a fallen branch.

Set up by 8 AM and soon had passing starlings and crows but about 20 mins until first pigeon appeared. Came straight down hedgeline to my chosen sitty tree and dropped. Quickly set up a flapper in front of deeks. Field started to be busy with several large flocks but field is surrounded by oaks and a small wood so they have plenty of options, and once some had set-up in a distant tree the others followed. Had to put a few shots in the air to move them on. Only had odd lone birds or small flocks decoyed towards my sitty tree. Had five from five shots but then messed my hit rate by shooting at some high crows, dropped 2 of them. Finished by 9:15 with 7 pigeon and 2 crows for 14 shots including 2 doubles, so well worth the little effort/time to set-up.