Shooting over beans

Oldfesta

Earlier this year ! My farmer grew several fields of beans !! I tried to decoy over them with absolutely no success !! He never harvested them untill very late in the season and they were all dried out and the pods had blackend !!! I wonder if sombody could tell what type of bean they maybe as he's replanted a lot more for the coming year !! And if and when I should try and shoot those fields ???

They will be beans for animal fodder, not for your dinner plate, they are sown in autumn (winter bean) and spring, best shooting is on spring sown beans or after harvest (autumn) you may also get some shooting on standing crops in the late summer/autumn before harvest.

Its a funny crop as prev said animal feed we call them black tick beans. When sown if they"re any on surface normally around the headlands. Also when just couple of inches coming through.By far the best shooting Ive had is when just harvested,sometimes theyre suicidal for beans.Good luck

I think you will find they are called egyptian beans if they are in top condition they go to be canned in oil for the foreign market (bl**dy horrible hard things in my opinion) but they seem to like them.They can get a bit of a hiding from a beetle which spoils them and then they go for the livestock feed market better shot over when stubble IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Odd crop to shoot over. Sometimes the birds go mad For them or ignore them. I remember sitting in the hide on a very windy day with loads of bird about and not a single bird showed any interest at all. After a couple of hours I packed up and went for a walk round the hedgerows.