Planet Earth II - a little moan.

chrisjpainter

Must admit i do tend to agree with the OP (althou not watched it yet but they are recorded) that british wildlife is largely ignored by 'proper' wildlfie film makers and u only get the numpties from spring/autumn watch that insist on naming every animal they film.

The other thing which really winds me up is charities/newpapers/tv all appealing for some random big cat/polar bear etc on verge of extinction, yet u never hear a word about any UK wildlife that is on verge of extinction where people can actually make a difference.

Ur scottish wild cat populations of pure breds could be as low as 40, probably makes it 1 of the most endangerged cats in world.

Or even the rted squirrell, sill thriving in scotland at the moment, but i reckon withon the next 10-15 years will not be many left in southern scotland strongholds and if squirel pox gets passed on too the scottish grey squirells they will not last that long.

Yet no one seems to care

I know it's been a cracking series and as usual the filming's been top notch, especially with the classic Attenborough narration. But why have the British Isles been so roundly ignored? We're an island nation, yet got completely missed off the Islands programme. Now we're looking at cities, and they've gone to New York to film segments on urban peregrines, when they could have done it all in a load of cities here at home. So many missed opportunities to get British people to get interested in British wildlife. But no, because it seems it's not really good enough to get the full Planet Earth treatment

It only goes to perpetuate the myth that Britain's wildlife isn't worth knowing about. I can only feel that this is going to result in more and more disconnect from the natural world for people here. No one is going to bother to be interested in it if it's not seen as worth filming outside of Springwatch, which is so banal these days!

rant over.

Also of concern with regard to Brexit as a number of our protected species are European protected and not UK so government could decide not to have them on the protected list to enable their continued building on green belt land against the wishes of the populace.

Must admit i do tend to agree with the OP (althou not watched it yet but they are recorded) that british wildlife is largely ignored by 'proper' wildlfie film makers and u only get the numpties from spring/autumn watch that insist on naming every animal they film. Or making documentaries about British wildlife as they see it in all its forms

The other thing which really winds me up is charities/newpapers/tv all appealing for some random big cat/polar bear etc on verge of extinction, yet u never hear a word about any UK wildlife that is on verge of extinction where people can actually make a difference.

Ur scottish wild cat populations of pure breds could be as low as 40, probably makes it 1 of the most endangerged cats in world.

Or even the rted squirrell, sill thriving in scotland at the moment, but i reckon withon the next 10-15 years will not be many left in southern scotland strongholds and if squirel pox gets passed on too the scottish grey squirells they will not last that long.

Yet no one seems to care

Can't be bothered with the rest of this drivel :/

Its too early to judge how much filming in Planet Earth 11 has been done in the UK. There must be more programs to come yet to cover all the worlds ecosystems. Temperate forests, wetlands, the sea to name a few. The ecosystems that have been covered with the exception of grasslands are poorly represented in the UK. To look at what has been covered, Yes we have mountains , but they are very minor ones , no jungles or deserts. Our grasslands did have a section on harvest mice and yes we do have major cities , but compared to bears in the USA or big cats in India ours are not in the same wildlife class. In recent years the BBC has produced some cracking UK wildlife films, Yesterday saw "the great British Year " a few days ago one on the Western Islands. These days the BBC has to account for its expenditure to the public and its a sad fact that to the UK public a tiger or polar bear has a lot more apeal than most UK animals.

Its too early to judge how much filming in Planet Earth 11 has been done in the UK. There must be more programs to come yet to cover all the worlds ecosystems. Temperate forests, wetlands, the sea to name a few. The ecosystems that have been covered with the exception of grasslands are poorly represented in the UK. To look at what has been covered, Yes we have mountains , but they are very minor ones , no jungles or deserts. Our grasslands did have a section on harvest mice and yes we do have major cities , but compared to bears in the USA or big cats in India ours are not in the same wildlife class. In recent years the BBC has produced some cracking UK wildlife films, Yesterday saw "the great British Year " a few days ago one on the Western Islands. These days the BBC has to account for its expenditure to the public and its a sad fact that to the UK public a tiger or polar bear has a lot more apeal than most UK animals.

I guess that will be in series 3 as the last one aired on the 11th of December.