TV box; worthwhile? If so which one?

Scully

Having iPhone and macbook I assumed the Apple TV was the obvious choice, but having done a search it appears it doesn't cater for the Beebs iplayer. I can get this on my laptop of course but it would be good to watch on a bigger screen. Film 4 is a must, or do I need Freeview at the very least to get this? Sky and BT packages are a definite no no.

Any suggestions, preferences or advice PW'ers?

Having iPhone and macbook I assumed the Apple TV was the obvious choice, but having done a search it appears it doesn't cater for the Beebs iplayer. I can get this on my laptop of course but it would be good to watch on a bigger screen. Film 4 is a must, or do I need Freeview at the very least to get this? Sky and BT packages are a definite no no.

Get yourself a smart TV, you will get all the above.

The Amazon Fire Stick is a good buy that enables you to get all that you want. About £35 from Amazon.

Your TV needs a vacant HDMI socket and the Fire stick is best powered from mains electricity

What you can get includes Netflix which is excellent but costs £5.99 a month for the basic version.

Vic.

The Amazon Fire Stick is a good buy that enables you to get all that you want. About £35 from Amazon.

Your TV needs a vacant HDMI socket and the Fire stick is best powered from mains electricity

What you can get includes Netflix which is excellent but costs £5.99 a month for the basic version.

Vic.

And I've heard some even install Kodi on it!!! Bad Ze's! Edited by Lampwick

Currys are doing a now tv box with 6 months entertainment (sky one and Atlantic +loads of box sets) for £20.

Tell the you want the movies for a year for £30. If they say they can't do it, ask them to scan 6 x 2 month sky movies cards (not sky cinema) and bobs your uncle!!!!!

They have re-branded and want shot of all the cards, but they work fine. Even buy 2 years!!!

You can watch on 2 devices and have on up to 4. Either barter for a second box, buy another on eBay, on a phone / tablet or smart tv.

After this runs out, loads of sellers on eBay selling the subscriptions cheaper than the shops.

YIFI torrents and Vuse downloader are your best friends :yes:

From personal experience, Freeview seems well joined up.

Freesat is useless in co-ordinating program start and stop times across channels and volume levels too so the recording elements clash regularly.

In trying to resolve these issues the BBC and the Satellite broadcaster just blamed each other with no resolution to the problem.

With the Amazon thing,

Is that a one off purchase ? Or do you have to pay subscriptions for different channels ?

I have an Apple TV box but haven't really explored what I can receive through it, (Seems to be some movie channels that need subscription ???)

I currently have a Virgin Media tv service but need to find a cheaper ie FREE alternative via broadband to save the expense of an aerial install.

With the Amazon thing,

Is that a one off purchase ? Or do you have to pay subscriptions for different channels ?

I have an Apple TV box but haven't really explored what I can receive through it, (Seems to be some movie channels that need subscription ???)

I currently have a Virgin Media tv service but need to find a cheaper ie FREE alternative via broadband to save the expense of an aerial install.

see my post above but this box instead http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZGEMMA-H-2H-Combo-HD-Receiver-Dual-Core-Linux-DVB-S2-Hybrid-DVB-T2-C-CABLE-/172338354657?hash=item28202a99e1%3Ag%3AHVsAAOSwdrRXGpR2&_trkparms=pageci%253A5a5c0fa5-c161-11e6-bb00-74dbd1800b27%257Cparentrq%253Af96d89df1580a5e0d673d554ffd6d5d0%257Ciid%253A3

Spent a little while trying my Apple TV box this AM,

With the exception of some internet radio stations and a You tube channel,

There's nothing free to watch, Everything seems to come via the Apple Store, for which you pay per episode, series etc.

I bought the Apple box a couple of years age to use my iPad for Internet browsing and mirror it to the large screen telly.

Edited by TaxiDriver