TV box; worthwhile? If so which one?

Scully

Buy one of these.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/now-tv-box-with-6-month-entertainment-pass-10139929-pdt.html

Even if you don't want the box. Put it on eBay and get £10 for it. Put the software on your device (phone / console / smart tv) and have access to 100's of box sets and a few sky channels for 6 months on 4 devices for £10.

Why buy an expensive dodgy box, that could go down at any time?

Plus - it's legal and you're paying your way.

Edited by markm

• 1 month later...

We've had a Freesat dish put up for £106,

Bought a free2air satellite receiver from Maplin £60

We currently get Freesat channels plus a load of others, mainly religious, both Christian Islamist.

and potentially Sky and BT channels if we had a subscription and a 'viewing card' to go in the slot in the receiver box.

Buy one of these.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/now-tv-box-with-6-month-entertainment-pass-10139929-pdt.html

Even if you don't want the box. Put it on eBay and get £10 for it. Put the software on your device (phone / console / smart tv) and have access to 100's of box sets and a few sky channels for 6 months on 4 devices for £10.

Why buy an expensive dodgy box, that could go down at any time?

Plus - it's legal and you're paying your way.

I actually did this a few mins after reading this post originally

I'm really liking now tv. I've signed up to the movies at £9.99 a month, a mate says go to cancel it and at the end of the process you can get it a bit cheaper. Not sure if that's true?

I've also told the tv licence people to get ****ed as well having now cancelled it. It's a liberating feeling telling them to do one.

The problem with freesat boxes is they seem to take an age to worm up I leave my box plugged in all of the time but still it takes ages to get going not like the old Goodmans freevew box with a 500g recording on two channels and much quicker than the freesat one.

The only reason that I changed over was where I live the reception is not good if you do not have a 30ft pole and in the windy weather it would sway like mad and bump against the home so I ended up with a dish on a 4ft pole and that is fine as long as it does not rain to hard.

I should add I live in a bungalow so no high chimney.

If I had a good phone line I could well be thinking about going the BT way and do it all on the internet but I just do not trust it not to let me down.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I actually did this a few mins after reading this post originally

I'm really liking now tv. I've signed up to the movies at £9.99 a month, a mate says go to cancel it and at the end of the process you can get it a bit cheaper. Not sure if that's true?

I've also told the tv licence people to get ****** as well having now cancelled it. It's a liberating feeling telling them to do one.

Good on you!!!!

Don't buy the vouchers in store. Watch then on eBay, the ones that end at silly times, go for way under their RRP. as they are a once use code (as you know), it's all above board.

Good on you!!!!

Don't buy the vouchers in store. Watch then on eBay, the ones that end at silly times, go for way under their RRP. as they are a once use code (as you know), it's all above board.

:good:

Another useful tip a mate told me about. Cancel the movie pass.

I've literally just done this online, you can't do it through the box. Very simple, go through a couple of screens ticking a couple of boxes. I said can't afford it as reason and ticked other for the question of where I'm now getting movies.

"No" in other comments box.

Go to cancel and an offer flashes up, £3.99 per month for 4 months if you chose to stay.

Nice little price drop for a few more months. Well worth doing.

:good:

Another useful tip a mate told me about. Cancel the movie pass.

I've literally just done this online, you can't do it through the box. Very simple, go through a couple of screens ticking a couple of boxes. I said can't afford it as reason and ticked other for the question of where I'm now getting movies.

"No" in other comments box.

Go to cancel and an offer flashes up, £3.99 per month for 4 months if you chose to stay.

Nice little price drop for a few more months. Well worth doing.

I'll do that.

Have loads of vouchers as currys offered me 6 x 2 month movie vouchers for £30.

Bought a few movie and entertainment boxes to stock up on vouchers, sold the boxes on eBay like you. Got enough for TV till 2018. Lol!!!!

Edited by markm

I'll do that.

Have loads of vouchers as currys offered me 6 x 2 month movie vouchers for £30.

Bought a few movie and entertainment boxes to stock up on vouchers, sold the boxes on eBay like you. Got enough for TV till 2018. Lol!!!!

That's the only thing I didn't do was sell the box.

I've got no other way of using the voucher so I kept it.

I can see the sense though in buying the boxes with offers, then selling box keeping voucher.

Did you try the cancelling trick?

That's the only thing I didn't do was sell the box.

I've got no other way of using the voucher so I kept it.

I can see the sense though in buying the boxes with offers, then selling box keeping voucher.

Did you try the cancelling trick?

Not that far in yet. I bought 7 in total. Kept 4 and sold 3 boxes (minus the vouchers)