Diesel Particulate Filters - Can I live with one?

blowin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive relatively high mileage 54k in nearly 3 yrs and therefore always have a diesel car.

I have run seats for the last 6 years and haven't had one bit of trouble from them, my current Leon does 55mpg all day long and will do 60+ on longer journeys to Scotland.

Maybe trouble free because I run it regularly down the motorway and will sit at 75 mph for 18 miles to work five days a week

I now when it's done a regen as the stop start .comes back on .because when it needs a regen the stop start stops working

That's interesting. I wondered how the forced regen would work with the auto start/stop.

Is this on an S-Max or something else? If it is then I'm sure my wife can be trusted to thrash it for a bit if it doesn't do the auto-stop on arrival at school or wherever.

• 2 weeks later...

I draw your attention to this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Some think 80mph is acceptable on the motorway and while it may go unpunished it is illegal .

And how they meant to test/check them in mot,s , they dont remove the undertray during the mot so know way of knowing if the dpf is present or not.

Which is also the same as purchasing a vehicle without one, then finding its been removed.

Majority of the time impossible to tell hence why there's thousands on vehicles on the road with dpf,s removed and companies removing them everyday the week

Edited by fruity

And how they meant to test/check them in mot,s , they dont remove the undertray during the mot so know way of knowing if the dpf is present or not.

Which is also the same as purchasing a vehicle without one, then finding its been removed.

Majority of the time impossible to tell hence why there's thousands on vehicles on the road with dpf,s removed and companies removing them everyday the week

I dont disagree with any of this, but never the less this is the ruling, i expect further measures will be forthcoming to check and verify the dpf in due course.

It is illegal.and in time they will check that the dpf is all there if it means taking the undertray off and checking the insides are still there .dont for get you will be sat there waiting while they do it not the government man .it will come .plus don't forget the dpf is there fora reason .plus also they may make you pay more to get the mot certificate

Edited by Guest

Just seen this.

That's pure wrong. My mums just bought a 4 series m sport and the list is over 40k so if she had bought it this year she would get penalised an extra £310 a year for 5 years . ???

It is illegal.and in time they will check that the dpf is all there if it means taking the undertray off and checking the insides are still there .dont for get you will be sat there waiting while they do it not the government man .it will come .plus don't forget the dpf is there fora reason .plus also they may make you pay more to get the mot certificate

If the vehicle passes the emissions test, why would they start to look for the DPF?

Just seen this.

That's pure wrong. My mums just bought a 4 series m sport and the list is over 40k so if she had bought it this year she would get penalised an extra £310 a year for 5 years . ???

Yep people will be hammered for the first year (131-150 CO2 onward) and vehicles over £40000 will be hit even harder.

Its all because the government of the day encouraged (forced) motor manufactures to produce cleaner vehicles, now they have done so lots of them fall into the very low or no tax band and the government is losing money, so those people buying a new car that falls within the £10 tax band will be paying £140 from April 2017, so it looks like we are back to the old system with everyone paying the same amount of road tax no matter what CO2 the vehicle puts out.

They have been a bit clever though because the £140 will only apply to new vehicles from the 1 April 2017, so owners of older vehicles will still pay through the nose if they have a vehicle with high CO2 output.

I run three vans in central London and the DPF's are a nightmare.

We have a catch 22 where we don't do big runs, we do a lot of short trips, and don't get upto speed. BUT all vans available to us are diesel.

Have just spent £1900 on a new DPF for a four year old Primastar - the regens can be forced but they don't do them any good.

We are also facing the fact that diesel regulations are going to cost a fortune for central London driving - all in all I would avoid them if I could.

It is coming in as part of the MOT so removing them a big no no too.

Looking on the bright side I think that it will not be long before most of us will be driving electric cars/vans and only use petrol/diesel for high milage people an electric 4x4 would be fine for me as I only do about 3000 mpy.

I forgot to add I think that the person who asked the question in the first place should forget about diesels and just get a petrol car.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Looking on the bright side I think that it will not be long before most of us will be driving electric cars/vans and only use petrol/diesel for high milage people an electric 4x4 would be fine for me as I only do about 3000 mpy.

I forgot to add I think that the person who asked the question in the first place should forget about diesels and just get a petrol car.

So we need 2 cars ?

One for short distance and one for long ,I think not!

Plus the electric one can do 200 miles before recharge ,if youre lucky,and need battery replacement after 5 years costing thousands,if youre lucky.

There a reason why there isnt many electric cars around.

So we need 2 cars ?

One for short distance and one for long ,I think not!

Plus the electric one can do 200 miles before recharge ,if youre lucky,and need battery replacement after 5 years costing thousands,if youre lucky.

I did not say that we need two cars I said if you do not normally do that many miles then an electric car would be adequate for your needs and if you need a petrol car to go long distance one in a while you could hire one for a couple of days. Things are changing so fast look at mobile phones a few years ago people said to expensive to ever really catch on but they did and the cost did come down and now everyone has one so why not the same with electric cars.

Apart from being massively inconvenient to the point of being largely useless and expensive to operate, electricity generation is a hugely polluting form of energy and the only "benefit" is that the pollution isn't produced by the vehicle at the point of use.

Ask the Scandinavians about the damage to their forests caused by pollution from our power stations blowing across the North Sea.

Apart from being massively inconvenient to the point of being largely useless and expensive to operate, electricity generation is a hugely polluting form of energy and the only "benefit" is that the pollution isn't produced by the vehicle at the point of use.

Ask the Scandinavians about the damage to their forests caused by pollution from our power stations blowing across the North Sea.

From what I have seen of it we will soon be getting most of our electricity from solar and lots of other ways that do not pollute oil coal and fuels like that will soon be out of date the Chinese are getting into solar big time it was on the news the other day things are moving very fast.

I did not say that we need two cars I said if you do not normally do that many miles then an electric car would be adequate for your needs and if you need a petrol car to go long distance one in a while you could hire one for a couple of days. Things are changing so fast look at mobile phones a few years ago people said to expensive to ever really catch on but they did and the cost did come down and now everyone has one so why not the same with electric cars.

Yes I can see that ,a free electric car ,costing £20,000 when you switch to EON :lol: