Diesel Particulate Filters - Can I live with one?

blowin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DPF's are a really good idea. On paper they are fantastic, but in reality they are a total nightmare. I am told that accoustics may play a part in DPF testing next year. If it's empty, you'll be able to tell by the sound of it when tapping with a test hammer/tool.

I also suspect that vehicle manufacturers will have to provide technical information on regen procedures etc to MOT centres. Some of this information is already available on AutoData.

DPF are fine if used within the parameters they are designed to operate. Too many owners are hoodwinked by headline mpg figures or clever salesmen and end up with derv instead of petrol. I have owned and operated diesels since before DPF became a thing and have never experienced a single issue, i simply do the miles to make it work.

I have a diesel just because I tow a caravan .but when the caravan goes .so will the diesel

And I will get a petrol they are less trouble. If you only do low mileage a diesel is no good

Get a petrol .the dpf is a pain in the a--. Also diesel cars and on there way out most people buying petrol

Plus it's cheaper and more miles per gallon lower tax

most people buying petrol

Plus it's cheaper and more miles per gallon lower tax

Really?

2 Litre Petrol v 2 Litre Diesel, I would have thought the diesel would win on MPG, And on newer diesels again 2 Litre Petrol v Diesel I think the diesel would be cheaper tax,

Bro in law pays £20 per year tax for his 2 Litre diesel

:shaun:

Petrol vehicles really are coming on quite well with fuel effiency. I'm selling my BMW 330d in the new year and going to a petrol, on the BM I can see the life expectancy of the DPF through the service menu on the iDrive and it's in 40k or so miles and the current odo is on 103k miles. They last ok if you use them correctly I suppose but like anything it's just another thing to go wrong! New diesel vehicles now have an adblue system Im unsure if they've done away with DPF now.

I think the new range of modern petrol engines with the ecoboost type tech will become troublesome after a few years as they are basically adding he tech that was added to diesels previously (turbo charging, variable inlet and exhaust systems with lots of sensors needed)

Free valve nine could be the future but no one has put them into production yet replacing cams win computer controlled actuators reducing the weight and size and adds exceptional timing and adjustment of a mostly standard engine (different head)

Just to balance this up, My wife has almost the exact same schedule as your Mrs by the sound of it. We had a 2 litre diesel S Max and it was the best and most reliable car we ever had. Brilliant family car which is massive inside with the clever 7 seat arrangement.

We chucked and cheapo supermarket fuel in it as well. Needed nothing but regular scheduled servicing

DPF are fine if used within the parameters they are designed to operate. Too many owners are hoodwinked by headline mpg figures or clever salesmen and end up with derv instead of petrol. I have owned and operated diesels since before DPF became a thing and have never experienced a single issue, i simply do the miles to make it work.

This. Nail on the head 👍

I heard it said many years ago that the more expensive diesel options are only viable to drivers who exceed 15K miles per year. As an ex cabbie I can honestly say there were't many petrol cabs being used.

Its a horses for courses thing, low mileage drivers are better with petrol.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Times have changed recently and more private hire cab drivers now use hybrid petrol/electric cars.

Agreed I do 30k Miles a year

Same for us, but its not the total, a taxi will do more but prob all 5 miles or less, we do 400 or so motorway miles every weekend, 60-90 mins at a steady70 mph, wait 2 hours or so and return.

It has been talked of on here about the regen process,give it some wellie etc.

The regen is temp based, achieved from sustained running at optimal fuelling at raised rpm, this means dual carraige way or motorway type scenario. Max operating temp for the least amount of fuel burned,i.e. creating minimum pollutants,efficient combustion.

Giving it the italian tune up overfuels the engine while the turbo spools up, rich mixture burns cooler, generates more carp for the dpf to capture, some short term regen may occur but not full. They rev em high on the machine to force regen but its constant and at contant revs the computer fuels the cylinder at the optimum.

Ever seen the mondeo booting it up hill the big cloud of black til the turbo spools up and gets it back to a leaner mix.

Run em contant and on the dually or Mway and you wont get a problem for a very long time,or get a petrol.

Edited by Rupert

Same for us, but its not the total, a taxi will do more but prob all 5 miles or less, we do 400 or so motorway miles every weekend, 60-90 mins at a steady70 mph, wait 2 hours or so and return.

It has been talked of on here about the regen process,give it some wellie etc.

The regen is temp based, achieved from sustained running at optimal fuelling at raised rpm, this means dual carraige way or motorway type scenario. Max operating temp for the least amount of fuel burned,i.e. creating minimum pollutants,efficient combustion.

Giving it the italian tune up overfuels the engine while the turbo spools up, rich mixture burns cooler, generates more carp for the dpf to capture, some short term regen may occur but not full. They rev em high on the machine to force regen but its constant and at contant revs the computer fuels the cylinder at the optimum.

Ever seen the mondeo booting it up hill the big cloud of black til the turbo spools up and gets it back to a leaner mix.

Run em contant and on the dually or Mway and you wont get a problem for a very long time,or get a petrol.

Aye that makes sense, 90% of my 30k+ Miles a year are long journeys and motorway miles.

We had several shoguns and when the dpf light comes on it immediately starts dumping extra fuel In to get the extra heat needed to clean the dpf, if you don't go out for your "spirited drive" immediately after that the extra fuel finds its way into the oil and the level goes up along with the oil getting contaminated with diesel, we ended up with an entire liter more when I realised and drained it. Tried all the fixes and the wurth dpf cleaner aerosol the goes directly into the dpf was the only one that worked

Is 12 miles enough?

Depends, for me prob yes, i live 0.5 miles from M62 which our car goes on everyday. wife works in lees and 320 miles on m63 and A1 in last two days, tomorrw is oakedge so 107 miles each way M60,60,56,6,but if you live in town miles from any way maybe not, Regen may start but not completey do its thing, delays the limp light i guess

Really?

2 Litre Petrol v 2 Litre Diesel, I would have thought the diesel would win on MPG, And on newer diesels again 2 Litre Petrol v Diesel I think the diesel would be cheaper tax,

Bro in law pays £20 per year tax for his 2 Litre diesel

:shaun:

Think that all changes on 17 April 2017.....https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/534511/ved-reform-briefing-for-motor-industry.pdf

Years a gone in the time forgot my dad was a lorry driver/mechanic he used to stop at a farm to get eggs spuds and the like.this old farmer had a morris oxford same as my dad they gets talking old farmer says the cars not running right.well cut a long story short we goes and picks the car up on sunday morrning i jumps in the drivers seat and away we go we get on the Hagley bypass.well me just passed my test couple weeks earleir puts my foot down loads of black smoke out tail pipe flat out all the way down the bypass.dad asked me what it drove like it was like a bat out of hell nothink wrong with it but we did oil plugs point for him took it back.farm was over the moon about 9 months later old farm said car playing up again dad told him he will have to go bit faster in it to clear carbon build up in engine.I all ways give my motors a good blast once a week memorys from the past.