In-ear protection

Lord v

Not heard of these (Flugz) before, they look pretty good. I may have to get some.

They look and reading the reviews if the moulding works they are awesome only complaints are from people who couldn't get the moulding to work properly not sure if she has tried them yet but they arrived and look good compared to my £120 custom mounds they look a bargain.

I gues the only issue with the flugz is that you should need to fit them at home prior to heading out shooting as they are reliant on a microwave?

Edit, I have been reading a little more info on the Flugz and once they are set for your ears they keep their form! They seem to get Very good reviews too!!

http://blog.bushwear.co.uk/mark-horsfall-reviews-flugz-advanced-hearing-protection. Off to dig a little further!

Edited by R6demon

I gues the only issue with the flugz is that you should need to fit them at home prior to heading out shooting as they are reliant on a microwave?

Yes but you only do it once. They go squidgy when heated so that they can be moulded then they take a set as they cool. I've just bought some but won't be trying them with a gun till Friday. I'll report back then.

Yes but you only do it once. They go squidgy when heated so that they can be moulded then they take a set as they cool. I've just bought some but won't be trying them with a gun till Friday. I'll report back then.

D'oh! You beat me too it - I just edited my comment thank you! :oops:

Okay then short review. Moulding was pretty easy they stay pliable for a minute or 2. I did them one at time and the 1st one took 2 goes to work out the best technique. Today was the first live test and I soon noticed that they're not easy to install when cold, but a few minutes in my jeans pocket and they went in okay. I'm used to using cans and there's no doubt the bangs are louder with the Flugz but there isn't the damaging pressure wave you get with no ear protection. We shot a round of 100 which took over 2 hours and they were very comfortable with no great urge to take them out immediately the shooting was over. I played around by blocking the holes with my fingers and that suppressed the bang much more, probably more than using cans with the volume right down.

Accoustically, my feeling is that they let in more noise through the little holes than they need to. As they are, voices sound almost normal and nearby gunfire is attenuated, but probably only to the level of being borderline safe, so what I'm going to do is block the hole on the left side and try again, possibly Sunday, and If I'm not happy with that I'll redo the moulding process.

Right now I'm 50:50 about them. They're more comfortable than cans which I wear sometimes for as much as 5-6 hours when out reffing, but I need better protection than I got today, so it's work in progress I'm afraid. I'll update the thread as when I have more info, hopefully after this Sunday.