Second hand watches

Lloyd90

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the point of owning anything, yes you can buy a perfectly good watch for less than £30 or a Range Rover for £110k when a new car can be bought for less than £7k , it's what it means to the owner that is important and that is what make life interesting, as we all like different things, just ask a question beretta or browning;)

I've got an omega 265 calibre, a poxy old discovery and one of each of the guns lol

Why the 2 "second" hands if indeed that's what both are?

:shaun:

I't a 24 hour hand. For people who don't know if it's morning or afternoon :-) Altho it an also be offset to another timezone, just in case you can't add/remove an hour quickly enough :-)

I love watches, but I really never understood the 24h hand :-)

Other lad in the office just sent his Tag away for service and a polish nearly £400.00 on a watch he paid £1100 for.

You could have bought a TAG for the cost of the last service my Rolex had...........

Depends where you take it but most just double the tag price.....

To be fair, the guy at the shop where I bought my omega clearly told me not to bother about service unless it's going wrong -- and he told me it's unlikely to go wrong for a long time...

Especially the coaxial escapement that is supposed to requires little or no lubrication.

On that topic, and for people who have netflix and like watches, a must see is the "Watchmaker Apprentice" documentary -- I've watches it a couple of time, just because it's a nice story as well! https://www.netflix.com/watch/80071909 --- also makes Rolexes sound cheap :-)

No mechanical watch will keep as good time as a £10.00 Casio.

Lets face it its all just wrist jewelry for men.

Naaa Figgy. A mechanical watch is a marvel of precision engineering. Watch this video and tell me you don't feel a sense of amazement. The screws this guy is manipulating so easily are about 1mm across the head with 1/2 mm shafts. I've tried this game and it is extremely difficult to manipulate the parts like he does.

:)

To be fair, the guy at the shop where I bought my omega clearly told me not to bother about service unless it's going wrong -- and he told me it's unlikely to go wrong for a long time...

Especially the coaxial escapement that is supposed to requires little or no lubrication.

On that topic, and for people who have netflix and like watches, a must see is the "Watchmaker Apprentice" documentary -- I've watches it a couple of time, just because it's a nice story as well! https://www.netflix.com/watch/80071909 --- also makes Rolexes sound cheap :-)

That isn't what Omega recommend at all though. I inherited my grandfather's gold omega bumper in 2010. He wore it for twenty years from 1946 to 1966 when he died and my old man inherited it. Then my dad wore it daily from 1966 to about 2009 when it stopped. Looking at the service mark inscriptions inside it it seems to have been serviced no more than three times in that period and there is very little sign of wear on the parts. My old man hardly ever took the watch off and he certainly wore it every day for almost 47 years. I have been told that my grandfather wore it daily when he had it.

This is a detailed photographic report of the tear down and service it had in 2012. I'm amazed how well that watch has lasted.

The photos are clickable for huge high res images if you want to see them. Useful for looking at the state of the pivots after a long life of work.

http://watchguy.co.uk/teardown-service-omega-bumper-28-10-ra-sc-pc-350/

That isn't what Omega recommend at all though. I inherited my grandfather's gold omega bumper in 2010. He wore it for twenty years from 1946 to 1966 when he died and my old man inherited it. Then my dad wore it daily from 1966 to about 2009 when it stopped. Looking at the service mark inscriptions inside it it seems to have been serviced no more than three times in that period and there is very little sign of wear on the parts. My old man hardly ever took the watch off and he certainly wore it every day for almost 47 years. I have been told that my grandfather wore it daily when he had it.

This is a detailed photographic report of the tear down and service it had in 2012. I'm amazed how well that watch has lasted.

The photos are clickable for huge high res images if you want to see them. Useful for looking at the state of the pivots after a long life of work.

http://watchguy.co.uk/teardown-service-omega-bumper-28-10-ra-sc-pc-350/

Amazing write up and his prices seem very very reasonable! Worth the money for the write up!

Amazing write up and his prices seem very very reasonable! Worth the money for the write up!

I know, but the bad news is that he is now a lot more expensive and you have to apply for a slot like you were buying festival tickets online. :)

He's a great bloke though and the new prices are still reasonable for what you get. I think he charged me about £50 for that service believe it or not.

One thing though - since the SWATCH group have ceased supplying spares for all their watches, which include Omega except to their own certified repair centres, parts availability for such watches as Seamasters and so on will be difficult now and in the future. they started this anti-competitive practice last year. You now can only get parts fitted by Omega service centres and a sky high bill. Fortunately, most services won't require parts although folk used to replace mainsprings on service in the past.

Why the 2 "second" hands if indeed that's what both are?

Its so you can set one time to where you are in the world and one to your home time, but mostly for the same reason that some watches are waterproof to 4000ft or have a moon phase on them - because they can.

The 24 hour hand is useful for the likes of pilots who work in UTC (GMT as was) regardless of where in the world they are.

When I was globetrotting for a living I had a Citizen watch where the hour hand could be reset instantly, very useful when travelling through 4 or more time zones, plus another face showed the time back home and another whether it was day or night where you were. Believe me, when you wake up jetlagged in Tokyo or Sydney and it's 7 o'clock local and dark and you need to phone the boss and don't know whether its breakfast or dinner time these are very useful features!

We're lucky in UK always being within 1 hour of UTC and rarely travelling more than one time zone for holidays.

Whilst I do have a Seiko automatic watch I use Citizens for accuracy and longevity. Apart from Grandfather's pocket watch for weddings and funerals.

Rolexs are very robust and I wouldnt bother getting one serviced until it broke.

There's a chap in between Rayleigh and Southend who is rolex certified and cheap as chips.

The Rolex I've had for over 20 years has never been serviced yet and is still bang on.

The main spring went in the wife's one and that was well under £300 for a service and repair (and 1 year warranty).

The wifes 3yr old Tag F1 went back to tag for a battery change. They emailed back and it needed a 300 pound service with new crown and other stuff!!! Took 9 weeks from start to finish!

I should have got her a nice used rolex.

Edited by Del T

I've had my Breitling Super Avenger for a few years now and really happy with it. Daily wear is a Raymond Weil which is better suited for the office.

Looking at getting a Breitling Navitimer in the New Year.

My RW has just had its first service after 17 years. The date function went faulty so I had a service repair done by http://www.swicowatchservicecentre.co.uk/

It was all made very easy from start to finish. They sent the packaging and return Next Day Special delivery labels and returned it to me the same. It took about 3 weeks and cost £130. The watch originally cost me £1200.

Edited by B25Modelman

my philosophy is only buy something that when you sell it you make a profit. what ever it is, that way you never loose money only make money. i have recently bought a couple of watches one was a garrard 18 ct automatic watch for 200 pounds. if you a going to spend thousands of pounds on a stainless steel watch you might aswell buy a fake and spend the difference on an old english sidelock .thats only my personnel opinion.

Not sure @piccolino -- ultimately it's only money, and you just live once. I'm not speaking about blowing it all on stupid things, but if *I* feel that I like something enough, the price tag becomes a little bit irrelevant. It didn't use to be like that, but you hit 45 and you see a couple of old mates dropping dead, the kind who had been 'reasonable' all their life to save on a 'pension' they'll never see. Puts things in a different perspective :-)

ideally, buy the watch AND the nice sidelock if you can, and wear when when shooting the other :-)

my philosophy is only buy something that when you sell it you make a profit. what ever it is, that way you never loose money only make money. i have recently bought a couple of watches one was a garrard 18 ct automatic watch for 200 pounds. if you a going to spend thousands of pounds on a stainless steel watch you might aswell buy a fake and spend the difference on an old english sidelock .thats only my personnel opinion.

Have you ever bought a car?