Anesthetic disapointment

eddoakley

Had some knee surgery this morning and had been told that the pre meds and anesthetic were one hell of a buzz.

Had pre med while talking to the anesthetist about poaching his neighbours pheasants, felt a little light headed but nothing much.

Was given the anesthetic and asked "should I be counting or something?"

The reply made me chuckle a bit- "how about 100 to 0, in 3''s, in Welsh?"

I managed "well I could do the 1st 2 but that's my lot!"

Woke up a bit later just feeling a bit groggy.

Very disappointed.

Asked the nurses if I was funny when I came around and they said even that was boring as I just woke up!

What's everyone else's experience?

Read plenty of stories about how "good" it is for some.

Edd

My experience is:

Fall asleep quickly.

Wake up

Chunder

Feel fine.

Morphine on the other hand ... That's the good stuff.

Wasn't even sick.

Didn't feel great in the car on the way home but that was probably just down to the Mrs driving!

Picked up a takeaway and just felt a bit hungover.

Done nothing but watch TV since. No pain to speak of, feel fine really.

Edd

Sounds to me that the Gas man got it about perfect!

I wish you a speedy recovery.

atb

7diaw

Thanks. Was just arthroscopy (both knees though) so hopefully easy recovery and enough improvement to let me get back in the gym in a few weeks! That's the main purpose of the op.

Had some knee surgery this morning and had been told that the pre meds and anesthetic were one hell of a buzz.

Had pre med while talking to the anesthetist about poaching his neighbours pheasants, felt a little light headed but nothing much.

Was given the anesthetic and asked "should I be counting or something?"

The reply made me chuckle a bit- "how about 100 to 0, in 3''s, in Welsh?"

I managed "well I could do the 1st 2 but that's my lot!"

Woke up a bit later just feeling a bit groggy.

Very disappointed.

Asked the nurses if I was funny when I came around and they said even that was boring as I just woke up!

What's everyone else's experience?

Read plenty of stories about how "good" it is for some.

Edd

Pre med lol

Walked to theater dressing gown and slippers off hopped onto slab

I had no pre med just injection in spine. Bit of chill out juice in back on hand and slice dice some of my femur sawn off bit of rapid fix cement injected into my bones from wickes bit of drilling big **** off chunk of pig iron fitted where my knee used to be. Hey presto its 6 weeks ago today and knee is bob on. Scare is a bit ****** its gone fat like a fat lob worm and sore as ******* now. Apart from that it feels heavy oh and the knee cap does catch now and again on the iron work but it will settle down in time

Thanks. Was just arthroscopy (both knees though) so hopefully easy recovery and enough improvement to let me get back in the gym in a few weeks! That's the main purpose of the op.

Had an arthroscopy done in march this year that was the 6th. He shaved some femur off this time was sore that op tbh. Had it done at 11.30 and I was out at about 6pm. Didnt work though just had knee replacement 6 weeks ago

It's strange how it affects different people, very much like alcohol, some want to fight the world and some want to make love to the world. Lol

And me, I wanted to bonk anything that moved (female of course)

MPSL You wouldnt want to bonk the nurses I had well maybe a couple :ninja:

Edited by jonno 357

I went under general once as a teenager at a dentist, all I remembered was counting down from 5 then the said go into the waiting room I asked how long it would take to work and then found out already had the tooth whipped out. I hadn't a clue I'd been out although was told that I had sort of come round halfway and bitten the dentist and his screams where heard in the waiting room by all the others. Only side effects was the feeling like walking on foam for the next hour or so and no pain.

I remember waking up and singing like elvis presley , then I proposed to the nurse and she said yes , she gave me a very warm hug and the doctor congratulated us both , I also sort of remember trying to eat a pork dinner a little later and vomiting, I can also remember the strange looks from the other patients when I started to eat my own vomit.

I also remember that morphine world is a very warm and comfortable place to live.

Much the same as 100 miles away, never realised how much i start fighting under anesthesia. I had to have a camera put down my throat many years ago. My Auntie worked on the ward and must have said he is a lovely lad and all that mushy stuff aunts say. I had no idea until i came round with both lips split and feeling bruised all over :/ My Auntie was not a happy bunny i was fine until they tried to shove the camera down my throat and started fighting them,to the point they had to fold my arms in and get someone to sit on me. Needless to say my aunt was embarrassed and gave me hell. Next time they must have hit me with a elephant dart as i was out for bloody hours :lol::lol:

I now tell them i fight when i am not fully under sedation.

Ive been knocked out a couple of times only once was voluntary. Did the usual count down from 10-0 got to 5 or 4. Whilst waking up my eyelids felt like they had weights on them every time I blinked the clock on the wall moved an hour. When I was awake all I wanted to do was chunder but nothing came up. I woke up just as the ward went on a shift change and I was asked to get up for a bed change, I think I might of told them to jog on in a bit more colourful language. I had just had my appendix out and couldn't move!

I think modern anaesthetics are a lot more 'sensitive' than those of old. It's the sensation of 'switch off' that I find amazing. Not like going to sleep naturally when you drift off but 'bang' you are asleep. Fortunately I have never had the side effects of nausea. The worst I have ever had was not being able to pee due to the muscle relaxant that they had used.

Some interesting experiences here, I've got a couple:

Dislocated shoulder being put back in after a rugby match: They gave me a shot of pethadine, in very colourful language and in my most sexy voice, I told the nurse how lucky she was to be helping a rugby boy out of his kit....my Dad (more about him below) and sister were present in the room and such talk was completely out of character for me. However I can remember it vividly plus my Dads laughter and my sisters embarrassed and sharp response!

After having the snip back in 2013, I did some rather irrational things for about 2 weeks after, one example I was sat in my office reading a fishing magazine at 3.30pm, I thought it was lunchtime...boss told me I'd had lunch with him at 1pm and we'd had a chat about shooting...couldn't remember a thing! Got changed for bed, then 5mins later I got up again and put my outdoor clothes on. Something similar happened after having my appendix out in 99!

Dad however, he's even worse, he goes off into a completely different planet, speaking completely out of character, and unable to settle down one minute being unable to move the next.....his Job of work, he was a Doctor for over 50 years! Hence his response to me above!

Finally when I had my leg op back in 01, the Anaesthetist came to see me before knocking me out, he said to the nurse "we've got a singer on the slab at the moment" for me....I was knocked out at 10.30am and came around at 11.30am felling perfectly fine!

Cheers

Aled

General anastetic is not good in my case,I come out of it fighting,once had a doctor by the throat and punched another,was knocked back out,came to and had one security guard by throat another knocked to the floor while punching another laid over my bed,6 in total trying to control me,the doctor knocked me back out, I came round the third time just speaking aggressively, everyone including my wife who had been called in stood well back.

The anethatist saw me later and we chatted he had read my notes and saw I had PTSD and asked if I minded if he included me in a paper on anastetics and the effects on people with PTSD.My wife who told me everything that had happened (I remember nothing)said I seemed to be super strong I dragged a 17 st security guard by his throat over the bed and launched him over the other side

I have been knocked out fast and brought round fast ,still come out punching,knocked out and brought round slowly with the same results.

Now if I can I have an epidural.and stay awake.

I don't know why it happens and no one has offered an explanation apart from the PTSD.

Kyska

In all honesty I couldn't tell you which concoction's I've been subjected too.

What I can say is there has been variance though and have had some great conversations with the Anaesthetist-- one gent as we were chatting and discussing how I seemed to be becoming one of his 'regulars' ( complications from motorcycle accident shoulder injury).

A lot of banter was going on between all in the room and it came to the usual discussion of what do want me to do this time? Count backwards-recite poetry etc when I felt myself going

He smiled at me as I said ' you buggrrrrrrrrrrr' , sod had already administered it when he had said it was just some supplemental thing he was administering.

You would have had to be there to understand but we had good laugh afterwards.