Securing a gun cabinet on a plaster board stuck wall

Me matt

I was unsure of where to post this;

so as per title; I am viewing a new build tomorrow, but unlike my current house (plaster and bricks) the new place is celcon block construction with plaster board stuck on the walls.

In my reckoning- using traditional gun cabinet fixings would smash the plaster board pulling it back to the wall as it was tightened, obviously the fitting of a gun cabinet won't be the deciding factor in moving but knowing the solution would be one less thing to worry about. Amy advice form folks that have experienced this would be appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Me matt

What about using threaded bar and resin? Drill right through into block work, but cut a big enough hole in the plasterboard to put a spacer in, then you can only tighten up to that? I've done it like this on mine, minus the plaster board

Ahhhhh beaten to it, that'll teach me for not refreshing before posting!

obtain a 3mm steel plate same size as and drilled to match the back of your cabinet

remove plasterboard on BOTH sides of wall to match size of cabinet

(here's the hard bit) drill through wall at accurate right angle on all fixing holes

fasten plate and cabinet together with wall inbetween

use shear head nuts on plate side and high tensile bolts

tighten till it squeaks and the head of shear nut detatches

cut projecting excess bolt off on "nut side"

replace plaster board on plate side/make good

the cabinet will now be effectively "sunk" into wall by the depth of plaster board and dot'n'dab

make surround to hide raw edges and build cupboard round cabinet

job jobbed

if they want to remove THAT...they will have to pull the wall down

Either cut out the plasterboard to the same dimension as the cabinet and sit that in the rebate and fasten to the blocks using appropriate thermalite fittings or resin type fittings; or if you don't want to be quite so disruptive then cut out a couple of slots from the plaster board and insert timber spacers slightly proud of the plasterboard that you can put your fasteners through, the cabinet is compressed against those and doesn't collapse the plaster board.

Lots of people go overboard in securing a cabinet, remember you only need to take reasonable precaution to protect your guns.

To the OP.

We share the same force area, possibly same FEO .

My house is also dry lined, When I applied for first grant they insisted I cut out a section of drywall to enable the cabinet to be mounted right back to the block work.

Their reasoning being that against the plaster board would allow a crowbar or other form of lever to be punched through the board and behind the cabinet.

Tricky for me as I'm in a privately rented house, so had to get landlords permission and lodge a £200 deposit against satisfactorily reinstating the wall if/when we leave.

Wow some really complex issues to a simple problem there! There are special Fixings for this type of construction that have a steel spacer that sits in the block and flush with the board with a tapped hole that you bolt into. This stops the crushing of the board I to the void.....

http://buyrigifixonline.co.uk/shop/rigifix-drywall-fixings/

There are many other solutions also...

Edited by HDAV

Wow some really complex issues to a simple problem there! There are special Fixings for this type of construction that have a steel spacer that sits in the block and flush with the board with a tapped hole that you bolt into. This stops the crushing of the board I to the void.....

+1 the m8's are perfect

Are these suitable for a safe? Nylon plug? That would pull out pretty easy in a celcon block I would have thought ???

A its not a "safe" it's a gun cabinet and B 280kg rating....... What rating is suitable for a gun cabinet?

You can use resin instead of the plug if more suitable for the substrate but properly fitted the nylon plugs are pretty solid.

A, whats the difference between a gun cabinet and gun safe then? Cabinet is usually made of a wooden design in my book and a gun safe is usually made of steel and appropriate style locks to stop unauthorised access.

B, 280kg is the suspended weight it can hold not the force it takes to pull it out of the wall.

Corr you say one thing ay... lol

Edited by Rst1990

Difference between a cabinet and a safe about 200kg and £500 by my reckoning ;)

Home office guidance states securely fixed to fabric of the building IMO rigifix would cover that as long as the the block work is suitable (perhaps questionable) rigifix aren't the cheapo plastic plugs that come free with stuff but are decent quality. I've got some here somewhere.

Only slight downside is I couldn't see (using my phone) a data sheet backing up the 280kg rating claim (would be nice to see)

Edited by HDAV

Difference between a cabinet and a safe about 200kg and £500 by my reckoning ;)

Home office guidance states securely fixed to fabric of the building IMO rigifix would cover that as long as the the block work is suitable (perhaps questionable) rigifix aren't the cheapo plastic plugs that come free with stuff but are decent quality. I've got some here somewhere.

Only slight downside is I couldn't see (using my phone) a data sheet backing up the 280kg rating claim (would be nice to see)

Brattonsound gun safes aren't that expensive, check them out www.brattonsoundGUNSAFE.com

Rigifix is a good fixing have used them for about a year and not had a problem with them with the right usage.

I recently had a site demo that used loads of these fixings and I was able to pull them out the wall with me claw hammer, that's how I know about there weakness.

Only trying to help ;-)

Atb

• 2 years later...