410 Driven Day

richg

​410 driven day on mid-Lincolnshire estate on Monday the 9th of January, 5 pegs available for 120 bird mixed day of Pheasants and Partridges, standing 9 guns @ £395 per gun plus tip. Usual hospitality. Strictly 410s only.

Fantastic sport with other 410 enthusiasts. It's our last one of the season, don't miss it.

• 4 weeks later...

THE LITTLE GUN WITH ATTITUDE.

Well we had our last 410 driven day of the season as planned, a full team of nine guns arrived for breakfast at a local pub prior to arriving at Scrivelsby Court in Lincolnshire.

With breakfast over and pegs drawn we set off with rain threatening and a stiff wind blowing as we walked out for the first drive, a small wood with a cover strip down the side, this being January and only a 120 bird day we were not overly optimistic as to there being too many birds left, BOY WERE WE WRONG, we hadn't been on the pegs two minutes when partridges started bursting out in ones and twos all over the place, climbing into the wind and powering over the line, guns were popping everywhere as birds were falling to the little guns, these were soon joined by dozens of Pheasants, all strong January birds, all eager to climb over the line of guns. With that the whistle went to end the drive, as the guns gathered broad smiles were on everyone's faces as talk of birds shot, chokes, shot sizes and barrel lengths were eagerly discussed, topics not normally talked about when using 12 gauges. Two of the team were shooting 410s for the first time and it was clear they were smitten. With 35 birds off the first drive this set the pattern for the rest of the day, with a few stops for drinks and snacks we concluded our day with five drives for a total 132. what a fantastic day in great company, the 410 is hugely underrated but has proved that it is well able to hold its own on any low ground game shoot, in good hands and at sensible ranges the 410 kills anything in the pattern. Our thanks to headkeeper Jon Lee and his team for a great day. THE 410 ROCKS.

As said, if it is in the pattern it is as good as dead. There is always this argument about pricked birds. There are as many pricked birds with 28,20,12, whatever, even the big boomers at 80 ..90yrds. None of us are perfect and a poor shot is a poor shot. To answer your question, I can see no difference. What I do see is pheasants and partridge blown to bits by guns new to driven shooting thinking they have to use the heavy cartridges seen on the very high bird shoots when 1/2 an ounce at sensible range and in the middle of the pattern will do the job. The one thing I have found with the 410 after three seasons is it is very hard indeed to find a fibre wad cartridge which will equate with the plastic wadded shells. I have patterned them and they are not consistent. Top of the range for me is the Fiocchi 3 inch magnum in either Italian 7s or 8s (UK equiv. approax 6 or 7s)

Shooting the new designated 18gr 8s at the moment and having good results. Was loaned three Cleever 3 inch on the shoot above and missed clean both barrels with two but killed a high 40yrd partridge with the third very cleanly indeed, so will be trying those if I can find a supply.

As said, if it is in the pattern it is as good as dead. There is always this argument about pricked birds. There are as many pricked birds with 28,20,12, whatever, even the big boomers at 80 ..90yrds. None of us are perfect and a poor shot is a poor shot. To answer your question, I can see no difference. What I do see is pheasants and partridge blown to bits by guns new to driven shooting thinking they have to use the heavy cartridges seen on the very high bird shoots when 1/2 an ounce at sensible range and in the middle of the pattern will do the job. The one thing I have found with the 410 after three seasons is it is very hard indeed to find a fibre wad cartridge which will equate with the plastic wadded shells. I have patterned them and they are not consistent. Top of the range for me is the Fiocchi 3 inch magnum in either Italian 7s or 8s (UK equiv. approax 6 or 7s)

Shooting the new designated 18gr 8s at the moment and having good results. Was loaned three Cleever 3 inch on the shoot above and missed clean both barrels with two but killed a high 40yrd partridge with the third very cleanly indeed, so will be trying those if I can find a supply.

Agree with you there, I was on a farm shoot the other day and one bloke was using 34g Extreme things on birds 20 yards away. Everyone was met with feathers streaming down.

Always fancied a 410 o/u but wouldn't use it enough I don't think

We did'nt count the shots but it was windy so quite a few, but we had a fantastic day. As regards the comment about not getting a 410 because you might not use it, i can assure once you had shot it you would be using it every chance you got, it's addictive.

Edited by richg

Shot the 410 today at Melbourne. Had a great day and had some memorable shots. One in particular as I was a walking gun. The partridge was with the wind and curling about 35yrds up and I gave it about 6ft lead and kept the swing going and it ran into 19grms of Italian #8s and collapsed. The retired keeper on the estate came to me afterwards and congratulated me on the shot but could not believe I was shooting a 410. Put it in the pattern, as with any calibre and the bird will come down. As Richard says it becomes addictive.