Deja vu on the maize

mrpip

post-13005-0-22546700-1481994986_thumb.jpg

My brother had a drive round the stubbles Friday and he said the only field there were any pigeon on was the one I shot 77 on Thursday, he said there was a good number on and in the area. So this morning set up again, even used the same hole for the whirly. It was quiet for the first couple of hour then things picked up, had some cracking shots and plenty over the decoys finished at 2.30 and picked up another 77 woodies deja vu or what.

Or more like....Ground Hog Day.

Never known anything like it mate, there's that many in the area the fields still got loads of cobs left on the top, I could see them going to another field about quarter of a mile away in big numbers, but they still drifted back to the wood. All being well going to try the other field tomorrow.

how many is that now off that field lol

its unreal how they just keep coming back there after being shot at so heavily

It's 5 fields in a block with a 3 Acre wood in the middle, they don't roost in the wood it's to cold, but use it as a sitting wood. One field was cut early November as it was a different strain of maize had 2 three hour sessions and 1 full day for bags of 33, 34, 55 the rest was finished end of month, first day shot was 4th December bags of 105, 114, 62, 77, 77, to date. 3 fields are going in with carrots next year so hopefully they won't get ploughed to early , every year we always get a lot of pigeon when the Maize is cut this year there's been tons.

Are they breeding on the maize?? Well done its one of those " Fill youre Boots Times " it may never happen again , so well done and keep at it . Are you on your second freezer now?

Still loads in the area, while ever they will decoy I'll have a go when I get chance, dropped lucky with end of year holidays and had a spare day last week, I have shot with steel for the last 10 years as we supply a big scale falcon breeder, they all go fresh my brother will drop these in the morning, I am going tomorrow on a field qurter of a mile away loads fighting that way today,

Edited by mrpip

There will be even more days on those fields when the fields are ploughed.

By the way, I'm not jealous. OK yes I'm jealous.

They usually do the liquid fertiliser injection I think it's fruit based, this can take weeks but this year don't think there doing this block, there is a block of rape that they have started to have a go at mainly along the edge of a tree line it's well away but you can see were they have started

It would be nice to know all of these birds have gone into the food chain somehow, but whatever you have had a serious good run on the pigeons.

We shoot with steel and supply a local falcon breeder, he will take as many as possible, even a few odd ones from fighting go for dog food, never wasted anything over the years