Larger sized shot !

washerboy

Ask the ground, many grounds are fine on certain stands but larger shot travels further so may well go beyond the allowed area, but if there are traps (rabbit) where the shot is directed at the ground this should not be an issue. I know a couple of local grounds are ok on certain stands (watch where you park though)

Speaking of large shots -- I was at E.J Churchill earlier, and as I was on the main parking, i could hear plinking of shots on the cars -- found one landing on mine, and it was clearly not 7.5" !! it was more like 5's! Some idiot was very likely 'training' driven clays with stupid game cartridges...

quote ..... if my gun likes them

The only easy way to find that out is to pattern test them on a pattern plate or a large metre square sheet of paper. Check the pattern at 35yrds with whatever chokes you intend shooting and see if your good to go. Only needs a couple of shots and the rest you can use for real time fun. If you want to check penetration then a good way to simulate say a pigeon or pheasant breast is soak some tightly wrapped news print overnight in a bucket of water, build up a layer of at least 1 inch thick and a foot square and place on the plate/board at 35yrds nd fire a shot at it it. Good penetration will go clear through. I do it on a 3/8th sheet of hard ply board and I am happy if the pellets also bury themselves at least a pellet deep in the board.

After all that then the final result is all up to you, not the gun :-)

Edited by Walker570

Speaking of large shots -- I was at E.J Churchill earlier, and as I was on the main parking, i could hear plinking of shots on the cars -- found one landing on mine, and it was clearly not 7.5" !! it was more like 5's! Some idiot was very likely 'training' driven clays with stupid game cartridges...

Top or bottom car Park? Happens a lot there, I have raised it with the clubhouse and they couldn't care less...

Top or bottom car Park? Happens a lot there, I have raised it with the clubhouse and they couldn't care less...

Top one, in front of the stairs up in fact. The bottom car park I'd expect it a bit more, that's why I always park to the left of it...

I've been 'told' that it's OK to shoot plastic too; as they do CPSA shoots anyway -- so the rule of 28g 7.5 fiber is only for people who are silly enough to follow the rules and are polite. Otherwise, just blast away, it appears.

...so the rule of 28g 7.5 fiber is only for people who are silly enough to follow the rules and are polite. Otherwise, just blast away, it appears.

Trouble, is, they invent a good rule, then add a bit and render it ridiculous, after which people won't pay any attention at all.

Smaller shot for clays is a good rule. I rather like it - especially since I've been hit with #7½ at about 100 yards in the past and - put it this way - I'm glad it wasn't #4 or #5.

28g of shot for reasons of fairness - also great.

Trouble is, when people read those signs, they have this vague sort of idea, that more or less shot makes for a better or worse pattern, but doesn't make the cartridge hit any harder - and they're broadly right, if the shot sizes are the same.

They also sometimes end up asking themselves the question about why 28g is acceptable, but 32g is not acceptable, when you the 56g you throw out there by having two shots at the same clay goes back to being acceptable? ("Is it a pattern? 60g out of an 8 bore - absolutely not - but the full 84g - that's ok, right?")

So they ignore the rule altogether and start banging away with #5's as you've reported - "because 32g doesn't hit any harder than 28g, does it!?"

If they just said "#7½ and smaller, ONLY", they'd be back to a good rule and people would probably pay attention.

Edited by neutron619