Metal Hobby Lathes

la bala

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Armadeal CJ18A I think it is, it's sold by other people under different names colours. I've threaded barrels, reworked bottle valves,delrin fittings ,bolts for air rifles. I have a four jaw chuck and other parts get's expensive when you add it up but well worth having.

I have an Armadeal CJ18A I think it is, it's sold by other people under different names colours. I've threaded barrels, reworked bottle valves,delrin fittings ,bolts for air rifles. I have a four jaw chuck and other parts get's expensive when you add it up but well worth having.

Will have a look roughcoat, I cant believe 5 years ago i sold an old, but perfectly working Atlas for 40 quid. :lol:

You must be gutted giving that away. I have trouble selling things once I buy them. I have a Raglan littlejohn and a Myford ml10 in the shed. I bought the myford then the armadeal, then last summer the littlejohn and a small mill both are not up and running yet but only minor things to do to both. With the myford your limited what fits in the headstock if your threading barrels especially air rifles with the block on, if you want to shorten it but their a top quality lathe. If you want see what they can do have a look at myfordboy on youtube the mans a genius.

• 2 weeks later...

Will have a look roughcoat, I cant believe 5 years ago i sold an old, but perfectly working Atlas for 40 quid. :lol:

Crumbs!! £40??!! :/

I've a few lathes, Most recent was this Myford 7, Can't remember the exact amounnt but it very close to £400, Still have to set it up yet!!

ULO1zRt.jpg

Another that I acquired (Swapped a woodworking lathe for it that hadn't been used!) was this Granville Senior..

RMDD7gV.jpg

Think i've six or seven in total and the only one that's set up is the oldest and most worn out!! I can't parallel turn on it as the bad is worn close to the chuck! (Gets stuck when you back it if adjusted close to the chuck, If the packing strips are adjusted at the dead end then there's so much wear the chatter happens and the workpiece becomes tapered!!

It's a really old (Flat belt and cone pulleys!) Faircut senior made here in Sheffield by the makers of Hendersons Relish! (Not a lot of people probably knows what that is!!)

K23EEw9.jpg

Think i've three more very small ones and a Centrix woodlathe!!

John :)

I've a few lathes, Most recent was this Myford 7, Can't remember the exact amounnt but it very close to £400, Still have to set it up yet!!

ULO1zRt.jpg

Another that I acquired (Swapped a woodworking lathe for it that hadn't been used!) was this Granville Senior..

RMDD7gV.jpg

Think i've six or seven in total and the only one that's set up is the oldest and most worn out!! I can't parallel turn on it as the bad is worn close to the chuck! (Gets stuck when you back it if adjusted close to the chuck, If the packing strips are adjusted at the dead end then there's so much wear the chatter happens and the workpiece becomes tapered!!

It's a really old (Flat belt and cone pulleys!) Faircut senior made here in Sheffield by the makers of Hendersons Relish! (Not a lot of people probably knows what that is!!)

K23EEw9.jpg

That Myford looks very nice :good:

ULO1zRt.jpg

RMDD7gV.jpg

K23EEw9.jpg

Very interesting, im frequently amazed by my city's history!

ULO1zRt.jpg

RMDD7gV.jpg

K23EEw9.jpg

I'm not alone then,same with air rifles but I'm not going there lol

quick one people is is possible to buy a new length of lead screw for a lath or will i need to thread my own. asking for a friend,cheers all

Try Kingston Engineering or Halifax Rack and Screw...I'm after a new Imperial leadscrew for my Myford ML10 and Myford no longer stock these........ :/

Last week Kingston quoted £59 for a half length blank.. and then another £360 to match it to my original. :oops: Sent the details to Halifax R&S and just waiting to hear back from them...fingers crossed.

kingston-engineering.co.uk

hrs-ccl.co.uk

If Halifax are as expensive as Kingston.... i.e. almost as much as I paid for it in the first place... then the original will go back on or I'll consider a Metric leadscrew and the necessary bits from Myford.

Cheers

Fizz

Ha ha ha!!

I've 145 airguns, Can't help myself, I don't know if i'm a collector or a hoarder!

I've been collecting watches for over 40 years and have roughly 2,500 to 3,000

John...

I had a look at your Flickr photos how do you get away with it with your other half. Some nice stuff

Try Kingston Engineering or Halifax Rack and Screw...I'm after a new Imperial leadscrew for my Myford ML10 and Myford no longer stock these........ :/

Last week Kingston quoted £59 for a half length blank.. and then another £360 to match it to my original. :oops: Sent the details to Halifax R&S and just waiting to hear back from them...fingers crossed.

kingston-engineering.co.uk

hrs-ccl.co.uk

If Halifax are as expensive as Kingston.... i.e. almost as much as I paid for it in the first place... then the original will go back on or I'll consider a Metric leadscrew and the necessary bits from Myford.

Cheers

Fizz

Did a quick ebay search (http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/myford-leadscrew) there's a few myford ones in it. I had a second hand one off ebay last year with half nuts not much wear on them,they weren't cheap though

quick one people is is possible to buy a new length of lead screw for a lath or will i need to thread my own. asking for a friend,cheers all

try ebay what lathe is it

Edited by roughcoat

I had a look at your Flickr photos how do you get away with it with your other half. Some nice stuff

It's never bothered her until recently, She now gives me a bit of grief when I get another (Acquired three more since Christmas! :yes: ) But if i'm buying a Webley pistol she's fine with it! For some reason she loves how they look but won't actually shoot one!! :hmm:

I bought a nice Rotary watch today, She even started whinging about that!! :whistling:

After almost 40 years of being with her, It seems to go in one ear and straight out the other! (If she's not careful i'll trade her in for a newer model!! :lol: )

Did a quick ebay search (http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/myford-leadscrew) there's a few myford ones in it. I had a second hand one off ebay last year with half nuts not much wear on them,they weren't cheap though

try ebay what lathe is it

Thanks roughcoat.... I've got a 'watch' set up for ML10 bits on fleabay but don't think I've seen a leadscrew come up in a few months, I know where there is one but the guy is taking his time getting round to giving me the condition and a price. :|

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial. I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.

Cheers

Fizz

:ninja:

Thanks roughcoat.... I've got a 'watch' set up for ML10 bits on fleabay but don't think I've seen a leadscrew come up in a few months, I know where there is one but the guy is taking his time getting round to giving me the condition and a price. :|

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial. I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.I

Cheers

Fizz

I'd hold out for the right leadscrew if I was you,I just use tap's and die's to cut the threads I need, I'm no expert myself but like you I will give it a go one day

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial. I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.

Cheers

Fizz

I suppose that if you have a 127 tooth gear wheel you could use a metric lead screw - I've done it the other way around ie cutting a metric thread on my imperial lathe and converting the pitch with the 127 gear, but it was a bit of a swine to set up

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting site,loads of info and useful stuff gear cutting and the like on mini lathes http://www.cgtk.co.uk/.

I follow a chap called John on youtube goes by the name of "doubleboost" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iubxTqtZ1GKUQTrz4-CXw, all down to earth and easy listening for budding machinists and a bit mad which helps :) .

Edited by roughcoat

• 3 weeks later...