Killing a winged duck

buze

Last saturday I did a left+right on a pair of mallards; the drake dropped like a stone; the duck too but later on when picking up (no dog) I found the duck was still alive.

To be fair, I'm a new shooter, and I managed to kill winged pigeons before, but not a duck; so I tried to be as 'lethal' and quick as i could, but the poor thing wouldn't DIE! I bashed it's head with the gunstock and I thought it did the job -- it didn't, I just KO'ed it -- then I tried breaking it's neck -- and I did, but it was still kicking! I ended up dropping everything, finding the nearest tree and banged it's head on the trunk until it finally died.

I have to say it was a little bit traumatic for us -- let alone the poor thing! Now I *know* I heard somewhere that there is a 'clean' way to kill birds, I'd really appreciate if someone could point me to it. I have really zero problem killing a hurt animal, but I have to admit I was incompetent and unprepared for that, and I apologise for it.

I *know* I could have shot it again, however at even moderate range it would have been pulped, and that would have been worse as I'm quite OK hunting, if I also make all the effort to eat the bird afterward. In this case it would have been hurt AND wasted.

I take a "priest" out with me it is made from a length of garden hose with a 4oz fishing weight pushed inside the hose, this gives me flexible rubber cosh type priest which folds into my jacket pocket.

And can be brought out when needed to a whack to the head of any duck or goose the needs it

Have a look at one of the fishing tackle websites (Fishtec, Glasgow Anglers etc.) and buy yourself a fishing 'priest'. (often for less than a tenner). Keep it in a game pocket on your jacket or as I have, a leather holder fixed to my belt. Any wounded game I hold in my left hand and 2 smart smacks on the top of their head is usually sufficient to kill it. It will still flap but that is the nervous system. This allows birds to be tied in two's around their necks without the heads pulling off

Search the shooting magazines for spare gun stocks, you are going to need one !.

Edited by Westley

Pricked birds of any species should be delt with quickly and efficiently.

As Jdog suggest wringing it's neck is the quickest way to do the job but it does take some effort.

I would suggest that you invest in a priest to knock your fallen quary on the head with to dispatch them in the most efficient and humanely way.

You did what you thought was right at the time and delt with the pricked birds. Don't be traumatised by your experience, we have all been in your situation in the past and can only learn from our and others experience.

Certainly with ducks /geese you need to be carrying a priest. Easily made from either a piece of 3/4 or 1 lnch plastic water hose with 'insert' or a short piece of broom stale with a hole drilled up the centre at one end and some lead either melted and poured or just pushed in ... a bit of J & B Glue will keep it there. A couple of smart smacks and the job will be done....... warning watch your knuckles on the bird holding hand ....... been there ...done that in the dark :yes:

Ok guys, went straight on amazon and ordered a brass headed priest, and I'll have it in a pocket next time. I'm still interested on the proper way of wringing the neck tho, I thought I couldn't possibly do it any better than what I did, I really didn't hesitate or fumbled, but I did a full 360 and that didn't kill the bird.

Thanks to everyone for the positive replies too, I was expecting no end of flack when I posted this.

Once saw a gun bite a ducks head it worked.I have done it but only once not recommended .I now use a priest.Dipper

I've seen this done and it always worked a treat, it's not what I'd do though

I always finds ringing it's neck works best, as said I think there nervous system is a lot more keen than others

I have dispached 100s of pigeons, ducks and geese by a simple method. Slot the neck just below the head between your first and second fingers and twirl ( rotating the ducks body ) a couple of times. The neck dislocates in a second or two. The bird will kick for a short while , but its dead and the kicking is just nerves. For big geese ( canadas ) make sure the goose is clear of the ground as you twirl the body. You will feel the neck snap and stop twirling the bird or the head may come of in your hand . When done correctly the bird is dead in a couple of seconds. A quick fast way of killing the bird. A priest will do the job , but it is so easy to leave it at home or take some time finding it at the bottom of the game bag. That will never be a problem if you learn to break its neck correctly.

Edited by anser2

Not trying to stir things up here' however how is this thread not getting the flak that the guy in the Video awhile back took.! I appreciate the fact that the OP is new to shooting but to leave a Duck until later on only to find it was still alive is not good practice. Surely without the use of a dog to retrieve the birds immediately it was up to the Shooter to go and do so as soon as they were shot. Anyway I'l leave it at that.

Lightly pricked Geese and Ducks can present dfficulties at times to despatch cleanly.They are certainly tougher birds than pheasants,pigeons ect. There are a number of acceptable ways of despatching birds and each man has his own way. When I was a young boy and out with my Father I remember him despatching Duck's similar to the way you would a rabbit with a karate type chop to the back of the head and on a few occasions I remember the head coming clean off. I wasnt a fan of this as I felt it spoiled the prize for taking home.

I have used the grab the neck and Spin the body on fowl, and also strecthed their necks by hand and also a couple of times with Canada geese put my foot on their neck and then grapping their paddles and arm around the body and stretch until the neck broke.

Of all the methods I much prefer a priest. I have made several different size 'In thickness" Wading staff's and I have peared them down so as 8 inches of Copper pipe of different sizes can be squeezed 'Actually hammered onto and up the bottom end of the stick. I then hammer on a washer screw to the end of the stick. I used copper roof slate tacks and the finished job looks like a big bore cartridge.

The one I use for fowling is 1/2 but any of them even the thiner ones would be sufficent. One slap on the head and that is all she wrote.!

Edited by SuperGoose75

This, simple, quick, effective and no tools required other than those nature provided.

I have dispached 100s of pigeons, ducks and geese by a simple method. Slot the neck just below the head between your first and second fingers and twirl ( rotating the ducks body ) a couple of times. The neck dislocates in a second or two. The bird will kick for a short while , but its dead and the kicking is just nerves. For big geese ( canadas ) make sure the goose is clear of the ground as you twirl the body. You will feel the neck snap and stop twirling the bird or the head may come of in your hand . When done correctly the bird is dead in a couple of seconds. A quick fast way of killing the bird. A priest will do the job , but it is so easy to leave it at home or take some time finding it at the bottom of the game bag. That will never be a problem if you learn to break its neck correctly.

There is absolutely no need to carry a priest to dispatch ducks or geese. I am not aware of anyone that I shoot with that carries one.

Neck wringing is simple and quick.[/quote. Yes that's a quick way but overdo it and it's heads gone .Try hanging that up its knowing when to stop.Dipper.

^

^

^

^

This!

Write and ask the Queen. She was seen spinning one on a shoot and got some stick for it by the tree huggers. The quick spin with pheasant / partridge is my normal way of doing it and quick and efficient but ducks and geese definitely a priest. I see so many birds with heads pulled off by those who know no better.

Bear in mind nothing dies instantly, the nervous system still keeps working for some time. Try frying frogs legs without pulling the nerves first. :yes: