air arms pro sport

jcbbracken

I've got a .177 Prosport. Fantastic gun and you can take it apart, service or tune it yourself quite easily. Don't get too concerned about the weight. If you look at the other quality under lever rifles they all come in around the same weight. It is just the handling that differs. For example the TX200 has exactly the same internals as the ProSport but has a different point of balance. Target shooters prefer the TX whilst the ProSport is more pointable and IMO better for hunting.

One of the best performing springers and certainly the best looking. They are generally very good out of the box but can be improved on if you want to tinker. Very easy to strip with a minimum of tools, I can tear mine down, clean and relube in 15 minutes. The trigger when adjusted is on a par with the rekord unit fitted by HW. Lothar Walther barrel gives great accuracy. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

As a tool for pest control I'll pick mine up before the PCP and it's always first choice for a plinking session.

Its a beautiful, top end, British made rifle. I love mine, although it is heavy.

You are so right!

On that basis I have just got my Prosport out of the cupboard, time for an hour with oily rags, dusters, allen keys and a beer. Then I'll stick it over the chrono to check power and it will still be doing 770 fps give or take a few just as it's done ever since I've had it. 200,000 pellets or thereabouts, 4 springs, 4 piston seals, 2 sets of bearings and 3 sets of breech seals, 1 cocking shoe but all the cocking links are original.

It's quiet, accurate, beautiful and well engineered, what more can you ask?

Snow good timmytree - your comment about picking up the PS over your PCP has me worried - unless you have a Hatstand your PCP must be poorly. Without wishing to highjack the thread I feel I must question your sanity, Sir, and suggest that you appoint a second that my chap can thrash mercilessly until you see the error of your ways.

Snow good timmytree - your comment about picking up the PS over your PCP has me worried - unless you have a Hatstand your PCP must be poorly. Without wishing to highjack the thread I feel I must question your sanity, Sir, and suggest that you appoint a second that my chap can thrash mercilessly until you see the error of your ways.

Poorly PCP? Far from it! A very efficient and accurate S200 that is great as a walkabout rifle. Lovely for walking hedgerows after rabbits or sitting over a warren. Otherwise it's as boring as hell.

Now the PS will do the same job but with more entertainment value, for decoying pigeons it has unlimited shot count so I can have plinking sessions while I wait for incoming birds. For informal target shooting it may be more challenging but it's infinitely more satisfying as witnessed at the AA meet last April when the PS and I scored 7 consecutive hits on the Quigley bucket at, I believe, 70+ yards. Better than any PCP on the day.

Forget your chap thrashing mine, why not adjourn to a decent pub and have a few beers and a civilised discussion?

Poorly PCP? Far from it! A very efficient and accurate S200 that is great as a walkabout rifle. Lovely for walking hedgerows after rabbits or sitting over a warren. Otherwise it's as boring as hell.

Now the PS will do the same job but with more entertainment value, for decoying pigeons it has unlimited shot count so I can have plinking sessions while I wait for incoming birds. For informal target shooting it may be more challenging but it's infinitely more satisfying as witnessed at the AA meet last April when the PS and I scored 7 consecutive hits on the Quigley bucket at, I believe, 70+ yards. Better than any PCP on the day.

Forget your chap thrashing mine, why not adjourn to a decent pub and have a few beers and a civilised discussion?

Good on you! :good:

I had a very good PCP, but after a while I went back to a springer. I found that hunting with a PCP soul less. It seemed like cheating.

You are so right!

On that basis I have just got my Prosport out of the cupboard, time for an hour with oily rags, dusters, allen keys and a beer. Then I'll stick it over the chrono to check power and it will still be doing 770 fps give or take a few just as it's done ever since I've had it. 200,000 pellets or thereabouts, 4 springs, 4 piston seals, 2 sets of bearings and 3 sets of breech seals, 1 cocking shoe but all the cocking links are original.

I've only had the PS a few years so nothing like 200k pellets, however I've had a .22 TX200 since 1994. It's never been opened and is still producing 11.6 ft/lbs and is super smooth. Brilliant rifles and don't need messing with like HWs.

It's a date timmytree - few glasses of champers and a round of cucumber sandwiches sounds heavenly - I will wear my rose tints and we can talk about springer's ad infinitum. Love springer's, on a more serious note, but 90% of my Airgun use now is pest control in very exposed public areas where silence is golden and only a gun in which I have 100% faith in will suffice, my S410 gets thrown in the car several times a week, has never been serviced and is filthy but it drops vermin time and time again without fail ( I also have a 10 shot S200) so it's my best buddy, my health also dictates that a heavy gun is no longer an option so guns like the PS are no longer viable. Been in love with many springer's - the HW80, Original 45 and an Annie 335 are guilty of some of my finest memories over 40 years of shooting :yes:

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/12/2016 at 19:14, timmytree said:

You are so right!

Triggers brush, only kidding they are nice guns 😎